Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Ok, I am interested in fooling around with making movies of my gaming, just think it would be fun.

I have the Mac and the DV Camera (or VCR) with S-Video input...but my Radeon 9000 does not have S-Video out.

If I were to put another card with S-Video out into my G4 I know I could output video...but could I output what was being rendered by my 9000??

See..I would not want to use a weaker card like the Radeon 7000 w/ vid out to play games, but I obviously cant use the 9000 to output the video.

Also, is there any alternatives to getting video streamed out of your Mac? I have a DV camera and Firewire...is there a way to stream right over that?

trose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
I know how to set my camera to accept input..but how do I tell my Mac to stream the video to the camera? I know how to do it using vid programs like iMovie or FCE...is there a way to just mirror the monitor onto the DV camera (a ZR10)?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by trose
I know how to set my camera to accept input..but how do I tell my Mac to stream the video to the camera? I know how to do it using vid programs like iMovie or FCE...is there a way to just mirror the monitor onto the DV camera (a ZR10)?

Get the card w/the S-vid out and run that into your camera. Be warned though that most games, when playing in the normal full screen mode, will turn off the 2nd monitor so you might end up having to "play" the game on your DV camera's flip out screen.

mnkeybsness,
You can only send video out via FW if the program you are using, like iMovie or FCP, knows how to send video out via FW (and assuming that the hardware you are sending it to knows how to accept video input via FW). FW is just a digital i/o so, for example, a video game will not "see" FW as a video out unless it's been specifically coded to see FW as a video out.

Lethal

trose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Ok Lethal, Thx. Thats pretty much what I thought, which brings me back to my question- Can I use my Radeon 9000 to render the graphics and still be able to Video out on a Radeon 7000?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by trose
Ok Lethal, Thx. Thats pretty much what I thought, which brings me back to my question- Can I use my Radeon 9000 to render the graphics and still be able to Video out on a Radeon 7000?

That I'm not sure about. I'm leaning towards "no" though since games tend to disable all the monitors save for the one they are playing in. It might work though if you played your game in a window and not at full screen.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.