Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I am going to post this here, in this thread, and link it on my ThinkPhone and OnePlus 10 Pro threads.

One of the common refrains you hear from many users is how Android slows down over time. Some claim even the flagships do this. To “test” this out for myself, I have been using daily, my Galaxy S23 Ultra, OnePlus 10 Pro, and Lenovo ThinkPhone. I try to spend at least an hour SOT for each with the S23U being my main, the ThinkPhone being my work phone, and the 10 Pro being an alternate main. The results were interesting.

S23U - has received all the latest updates including security updates. The phone feels and acts as fast and touch sensitive as the day I got it. No slowdown or other negative item.

10 Pro - has received all the latest updates including security updates. The phone feels and acts as fast and touch sensitive as the day I got it. No slowdown or other negative item.

ThinkPhone - has received all the latest updates including security updates. This phone however (first Moto phone since the Razr V3) is starting to show both noticeable slowing and the touch is less sensitive. Not sure why however I am likely to try a reinstall sometime this month. Like the interaction with my ThinkPad but …

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I am going to post this here, in this thread, and link it on my ThinkPhone and OnePlus 10 Pro threads.

One of the common refrains you hear from many users is how Android slows down over time. Some claim even the flagships do this. To “test” this out for myself, I have been using daily, my Galaxy S23 Ultra, OnePlus 10 Pro, and Lenovo ThinkPhone. I try to spend at least an hour SOT for each with the S23U being my main, the ThinkPhone being my work phone, and the 10 Pro being an alternate main. The results were interesting.

S23U - has received all the latest updates including security updates. The phone feels and acts as fast and touch sensitive as the day I got it. No slowdown or other negative item.

10 Pro - has received all the latest updates including security updates. The phone feels and acts as fast and touch sensitive as the day I got it. No slowdown or other negative item.

ThinkPhone - has received all the latest updates including security updates. This phone however (first Moto phone since the Razr V3) is starting to show both noticeable slowing and the touch is less sensitive. Not sure why however I am likely to try a reinstall sometime this month. Like the interaction with my ThinkPad but …
My experience and experience of die hard Samsung friends is that they don't notice a slow down over many years. The only way they can tell it is slower than the newest Samsung Galaxy is to directly compare it to a new phone several years newer.

I had a s20FE and I sold it after almost 3 years and never noticed a slow down. When I got my new Galaxy I noticed a difference.

I can't speak on OnePlus as I sold my 7Pro because of too many bugs and never looked back but my previous OnePlus 3t and so on never had a slow down.

My experience with Motorola has been pretty awful, pretty consistently both in frequency of updates and the quality. The other thing was the complete lack of optimization of Android making decent hardware feel painfully slow. I am giving Motorola a several years break. I liked some of the features like chop, chop flashlight and minimalist Android build but I couldn't understand with such a minimal build how they could screw things up. I have had friends who love their cheap Motos but they don't pay attention to things like updates or version of Android they are on.

Maybe you should sell your think phone and get a Pixel 7 or Pixel 8 when it comes out? Then you could compare Samsung One UI, OnePlus Oxygen OS and Pixel UI??

A lot of people hate on Samsung and Pixel but my experience is that they tend to feel snappy for years. All tech slows down over time with updated software but how you feel and experience that varies widely. I think this is also where Apple tends to do really well. You can have an iPhone or iPad for many years before they feel slow. It something a lot of people don't consider when they purchase a phone. Not just specs but software optimization and support over many years.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
My experience and experience of die hard Samsung friends is that they don't notice a slow down over many years. The only way they can tell it is slower than the newest Samsung Galaxy is to directly compare it to a new phone several years newer.

I had a s20FE and I sold it after almost 3 years and never noticed a slow down. When I got my new Galaxy I noticed a difference.

I can't speak on OnePlus as I sold my 7Pro because of too many bugs and never looked back but my previous OnePlus 3t and so on never had a slow down.

My experience with Motorola has been pretty awful, pretty consistently both in frequency of updates and the quality. The other thing was the complete lack of optimization of Android making decent hardware feel painfully slow. I am giving Motorola a several years break. I liked some of the features like chop, chop flashlight and minimalist Android build but I couldn't understand with such a minimal build how they could screw things up. I have had friends who love their cheap Motos but they don't pay attention to things like updates or version of Android they are on.

Maybe you should sell your think phone and get a Pixel 7 or Pixel 8 when it comes out? Then you could compare Samsung One UI, OnePlus Oxygen OS and Pixel UI??

A lot of people hate on Samsung and Pixel but my experience is that they tend to feel snappy for years. All tech slows down over time with updated software but how you feel and experience that varies widely. I think this is also where Apple tends to do really well. You can have an iPhone or iPad for many years before they feel slow. It something a lot of people don't consider when they purchase a phone. Not just specs but software optimization and support over many years.

Thinking about letting the TP go and look at the new Zenfone 10 or Nothing 2. While the Pixel sort of intrigues me, I'm not sold on the custom CPU Google is attempting.

I'll definitely put the long term check on my Ultra. I expect my 10 Pro to be gifted to one of my relatives sometime this year. It will likely be my last OnePlus. The 11 cut too many corners.

I have to say I was surprised about the ThinkPhone. I didn't expect the results I got.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Thinking about letting the TP go and look at the new Zenfone 10 or Nothing 2. While the Pixel sort of intrigues me, I'm not sold on the custom CPU Google is attempting.

I'll definitely put the long term check on my Ultra. I expect my 10 Pro to be gifted to one of my relatives sometime this year. It will likely be my last OnePlus. The 11 cut too many corners.

I have to say I was surprised about the ThinkPhone. I didn't expect the results I got.
As much as I love Asus it is another OEM that support or updates might be an issue.

Nothing phone 2 has an 8 gen 1 which is on the same performance footing as the Tensor G2. I think by the 3rd Nothing phone I would be interested but the specs just aren't there yet. I also don't really like the led lights on the back. Cool for about 5 minutes and then it just adds battery drain with little benefits.

I am not trying to doubt your choices. I am sure both of the above are good phones. Just sharing my point of view.

I am not trying to say you should look at a Pixel but you seem to like vanilla Android phone and honestly there isn't anything more true to Android than a Pixel. I understand your point of view with the Tensor G2. It is not the best chip out and Samsung Exynos DNA is all over it. The Tensor G3 while not going to be besting SD 8 gen 3 might be a lot closer to 8 gen 2 than 8 gen 1 in terms of performance and battery life and it probably still run hot.

Even with the G2 and comparing it to the S23U it is not a bad chip. It is not in the same league as S23U but Google is rumored to use ufs 4 on the Pixel 8 combined with 9 core 4nm Tensor G3 it might be much better.

The software on a Pixel is really nice and almost negates a lot of the deficiency of the G2 so I am betting the P8 Pro might just be a winner plus it will have a flat screen.

But whatever you decide keep on posting your great reviews and experiences. Always look forward to what you have to say.

Reactions: danb1979 and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
As much as I love Asus it is another OEM that support or updates might be an issue.

Nothing phone 2 has an 8 gen 1 which is on the same performance footing as the Tensor G2. I think by the 3rd Nothing phone I would be interested but the specs just aren't there yet. I also don't really like the led lights on the back. Cool for about 5 minutes and then it just adds battery drain with little benefits.

I am not trying to doubt your choices. I am sure both of the above are good phones. Just sharing my point of view.

I am not trying to say you should look at a Pixel but you seem to like vanilla Android phone and honestly there isn't anything more true to Android than a Pixel. I understand your point of view with the Tensor G2. It is not the best chip out and Samsung Exynos DNA is all over it. The Tensor G3 while not going to be besting SD 8 gen 3 might be a lot closer to 8 gen 2 than 8 gen 1 in terms of performance and battery life and it probably still run hot.

Even with the G2 and comparing it to the S23U it is not a bad chip. It is not in the same league as S23U but Google is rumored to use ufs 4 on the Pixel 8 combined with 9 core 4nm Tensor G3 it might be much better.

The software on a Pixel is really nice and almost negates a lot of the deficiency of the G2 so I am betting the P8 Pro might just be a winner plus it will have a flat screen.

But whatever you decide keep on posting your great reviews and experiences. Always look forward to what you have to say.

I’ll keep my eye on the Pixel and see.
Thx!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
how is summer treating your s23 ultra?

Running like the flagship it is.
I am currently sharing its SIM with my Nothing Phone 2.

A good real world way to put it, any time I need a device I can absolutely count on, I reach for and use my S23U. It has become and remains my go to for ease of use, critical functionality, battery life, and those moments when I need a good camera.

Sebalto

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2023
Running like the flagship it is.
I am currently sharing its SIM with my Nothing Phone 2.

A good real world way to put it, any time I need a device I can absolutely count on, I reach for and use my S23U. It has become and remains my go to for ease of use, critical functionality, battery life, and those moments when I need a good camera.
Do you notice any stuttering at all or shutter lag?

Sebalto

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2023
Rarely if ever. I changed some of the camera settings and went from Focus to Speed.
The majority of my photos are taken via the 3x and 10x settings.
Thanks. I was going to pull the trigger on an S23U but decided to opt for the 15PM due to reading some slightly negative reports of the S23U. It is due to arrive next week, but if it doesn't impress me I will return it and get the S23U

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Thanks. I was going to pull the trigger on an S23U but decided to opt for the 15PM due to reading some slightly negative reports of the S23U. It is due to arrive next week, but if it doesn't impress me I will return it and get the S23U

I’m using both and each has their pluses and minuses.
Best of luck with whichever you end up with.

denises26

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
Hey, read your thread with great interest and I wanted to ask you. Is there any special settings that you use to get 10-11 hours SOT?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Hey, read your thread with great interest and I wanted to ask you. Is there any special settings that you use to get 10-11 hours SOT?

Not really anything special. I pretty much took the time to set it up the way I wanted and adjusted the settings as I found apps to other settings that had a heavy battery impact.

Display is set to FHD, timeout is 5 minutes, Auto-brightness, only apps that need it have background, etc…
I just took the time and tweaked as I went. Turned off anything Bixby I could.
One thing I did was swapped from OneUI to Nova for my launcher. That appeared help.

I can post more in depth details if needed in a few days.
Biggest thing was to set it the way I want, then take the time to tweak it.

Reactions: Peterg2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.