Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
I tried posting this problem on the Logitech forum and got no replies. Maybe I'll have better luck here :)

I tried using my Cordless diNovo Desktop for Notebooks on my iMac to see if I would like it better than my S530 keyboard (I generally prefer the lighter keytouch and shorter key travel of notebook style keyboards). Since the day I tried this experiment, I now have a problem using the S530 keyboard with the Mac. Every time I boot the computer or restart, the default behavior of the Alt/Option and the Command (Apple) keys is reversed. To get the keys on the S530 to work normally again, I have to pair the keyboard again by pressing the connect button on the wireless dongle and under the keyboard. All the other special function keys also will not work until I re-do the pairing again. Prior to connecting the diNovo keyboard, my S530 behaved normally after a reboot. I have since tried uninstalling and re-installing the LCC software (versions 1.62 and 2.0) but the problem remains. I wonder if there is a preferences or settings file that LCC is using by default after rebooting. If so, uninstalling LCC did not seem to delete this file.

This is not a critical problem, but it *is* rather annoying to have to reach behind the computer and underneath the keyboard to press the Connect buttons each and every time I start my computer; especially when I know that it used to work properly before. If anybody has a way to resolve this, I would appreciate it if you post a solution.

Thanks

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
As a follow up to my S530 problem:

I uninstalled the LCC software. I then deleted all logitech "plist" files from the preferences directory and restarted the system. The Alt and Command keys behaved in the normal, expected way. I then re-installed LCC and the functionality of these two keys is swapped once again. So, obviously, it appears that the LCC software is the cause of my problems. I just don't know how to fix it.

Another clue that might help someone diagnose my problem: When I start up or reboot the iMac, the LCC system preferences pane does not show the keyboard. Once I press the Connect button on the USB dongle and the keyboard, the keyboard shows up in LCC and the normal keyboard behavior of the Alt and Command keys is restored.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
karlfranz said:
As a follow up to my S530 problem:

I uninstalled the LCC software. I then deleted all logitech "plist" files from the preferences directory and restarted the system. The Alt and Command keys behaved in the normal, expected way. I then re-installed LCC and the functionality of these two keys is swapped once again. So, obviously, it appears that the LCC software is the cause of my problems. I just don't know how to fix it.

Another clue that might help someone diagnose my problem: When I start up or reboot the iMac, the LCC system preferences pane does not show the keyboard. Once I press the Connect button on the USB dongle and the keyboard, the keyboard shows up in LCC and the normal keyboard behavior of the Alt and Command keys is restored.

this might not help much... but perhaps change the battery of the keyboard? perhaps use another usb port? do you perhaps have another mac and try it on another one?

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
bearbo said:
this might not help much... but perhaps change the battery of the keyboard? perhaps use another usb port? do you perhaps have another mac and try it on another one?
Yeah, thanks. I tried removing the battery before but it didn't work.

I don't have another Mac, but I don't see what difference that would make. The keyboard worked fine until I tried using the other Logitech keyboard with my iMac.

bpm2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
Old post - reviving for relevence.

I have to re-sync my keyboard/mouse from the s530 every time I reboot. Its a huge PITA - has there been any fixes for this yet?

I dont want to have to return this set since I like it a lot when its actually working correctly...

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
Old post - reviving for relevence.

I have to re-sync my keyboard/mouse from the s530 every time I reboot. Its a huge PITA - has there been any fixes for this yet?

I dont want to have to return this set since I like it a lot when its actually working correctly...

I still haven't gotten a solution for this problem either. However, the S530 keyboard and so much better than the Apple offerings that I put up with this inconvenience regardless. I rarely shut off or put mycomputer to sleep, but it is annoying to have to re-pair on the few ocassions that I do. If you find I solution, I would be interested in hearing it.

bpm2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
If I reboot or start up the computer I've found that I NEED to have the usb transmitter in BEFORE I startup (I use the mobile thumbdrive looking one exclusively - the wired one doesnt even work for me), and then it will be recognized in the logitech controls. If I plug it in after the computer is already booted up, then I have to re-sync and even after they are recognized the media buttons do not work.

I reverted back to 2.0.0 btw.

I think I will just live with it knowing what I do now but it sure would be nice if they would release something that actually works without all these little problems.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
If I reboot or start up the computer I've found that I NEED to have the usb transmitter in BEFORE I startup (I use the mobile thumbdrive looking one exclusively - the wired one doesnt even work for me), and then it will be recognized in the logitech controls. If I plug it in after the computer is already booted up, then I have to re-sync and even after they are recognized the media buttons do not work.

I reverted back to 2.0.0 btw.

I think I will just live with it knowing what I do now but it sure would be nice if they would release something that actually works without all these little problems.

What "wired one" are you referring to? Certainly nothing that comes with the S530. You do know that the wired USB device in the S530 packaging is simply an extension cord to bring the USB receiver closer to the keyboard and mouse RF signal, don't you?

My problem doesn't seem to be exactly like yours. When I restart my, my keyboard & mouse are recognized, but the Command and Alt keys are reversed and the media keys don't work until I re-pair them by pressing the connect button. After pressing the Connect button, all works as expected.

bpm2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
What "wired one" are you referring to? Certainly nothing that comes with the S530. You do know that the wired USB device in the S530 packaging is simply an extension cord to bring the USB receiver closer to the keyboard and mouse RF signal, don't you?

My problem doesn't seem to be exactly like yours. When I restart my, my keyboard & mouse are recognized, but the Command and Alt keys are reversed and the media keys don't work until I re-pair them by pressing the connect button. After pressing the Connect button, all works as expected.

lol no i didnt know that - didnt read any of the instructions or packaging, just assumed thats what it was. (why would you need that anyways???:confused: )

Yea I've heard of your problem as the "standard" one that seems to be running in most people's s530s. I had that problem with the 2.1.1? control center but reverting back I can at least have the devices recognized on startup as long as I have the receiver plugged in.

Oh and another thing - I have to enter the LLC on startup or the mouse is ridiculously sensitive and fast. Another major annoyance.

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
lol no i didnt know that - didnt read any of the instructions or packaging, just assumed thats what it was. (why would you need that anyways???:confused: )

Yea I've heard of your problem as the "standard" one that seems to be running in most people's s530s. I had that problem with the 2.1.1? control center but reverting back I can at least have the devices recognized on startup as long as I have the receiver plugged in.

Oh and another thing - I have to enter the LLC on startup or the mouse is ridiculously sensitive and fast. Another major annoyance.

The purpose of the USB extension is for people who might have a tower case (like a Mac Pro) as the signal might be too weak if you plug the receiver in the rear of the case and might be vulnerable to snapping off if you plug it in the front. The extension also is convenient as a place to plug in a thumb drive more conveniently.

Where have you been seeing the problem I have with the S530 as "standard" discussions?

alaibubu

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
I have the s530, LCC 2.1.1 with imac 24". Have none of your problems except sometimes some of the keyboard keys would not work. When this happens, I go to LCC, press the keyboard picture then close the window and everything works as normal. The s530 even works in XP without having to download extra drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.