Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I know these sizes aren't equal, but which phone is better for me? I currently have the S7. Here is why I am on the fence right now:

S7: Bigger battery (when it works, it works well as long as software doesn't fubar it), Gear VR (hardly use it, but awesome to have and show off), more software features, cleaner design, faster charging, more future proof LTE hardware with 4x4 MIMO w/ T-Mobile, wireless charging, higher water resistance standard, better camera, SD slot, QHD display, AMOLED tech, android customization, headphone jack, notification LED, Always on Display, and better looking UI.

iPhone 7 Plus: 3D Touch being useful in iOS 10, cleaner software, Apple Customer Service, no frills, fastest processor and benchmarks on the market, ionized Black designed phone, better ram management, no need to waste resources on features I don't need, IP67 is fine enough, comes with the headphone adapter, much improved cameras, new home button, better standby battery life management, dual stereo speakers, iMessage, FaceTime, better app selection, nice app switching, and the iPhone works well with my MBP.

Why I don't think making the move would be right at this time: The S7 is great enough as it is and I just need a software update to patch my battery life issues in addition to get the new 4x4 MIMO tech for faster data speeds. In addition, Samsung and T-Mobile are testing 5G speeds already. $300-$400 extra for "less" doesn't seem too feasible or smart at this time. Even if I go through the Apple Upgrade program, I will still be wasting $ in installments. The AMOLED panels Samsung offer are amazing. The S8 is closer than people think, especially given the absurd spec line of 6GB RAM, 4K HDR screen, etc. I'll get the itch for the S8 anyways.

The iPhone 7 Plus has no headphone jack, meaning trouble with Aux audio in my car. No quick charge means long iPhone charge times still. Music is a bit of a headache to get because of iTunes. Ringtones aren't easily created either. Apple's profile build is quite awkward too. To add, there are too many rumors for the iPhone 8 or 7S, whatever it will be called. There is too much of a tech gap to just go after benchmarks and real world speed usage when it's very negligible between the S7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Less isn't more.

So, right now, I could get up at 3:01 am and make my preorder, or I can just stay with what I have, follow through with my original plan to get the S8 in summer 2017 while my S7 serves as my daily driver. Thoughts?

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Before you get into the technical aspect of each phone, I think you should think about size and design first.

In my opinion, the S7 is a perfect size, and I'm sure you like comfortably using it with one hand. The iphone 7 plus is going to be a different kind of beast. The iphone is much more bulkier and will be uncomfortable to use with one hand, it is a 2 handed phone. The screen in the iphone 7 plus is only 10% bigger than the s7 but the actual size of the phone is so much bigger.

If you are fine with a much more bulkier, heavier phone, and the advantage is you will get a slightly bigger screen, then I would look into comparing the technical aspects of each phone. But before then, make sure you'd be fine with the size.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Before you get into the technical aspect of each phone, I think you should think about size and design first.

In my opinion, the S7 is a perfect size, and I'm sure you like comfortably using it with one hand. The iphone 7 plus is going to be a different kind of beast. The iphone is much more bulkier and will be uncomfortable to use with one hand, it is a 2 handed phone. The screen in the iphone 7 plus is only 10% bigger than the s7 but the actual size of the phone is so much bigger.

If you are fine with a much more bulkier, heavier phone, and the advantage is you will get a slightly bigger screen, then I would look into comparing the technical aspects of each phone. But before then, make sure you'd be fine with the size.

I prefer the S7 size to the iPhone 6S Plus size I had. The Note 7 or Note 5 have nice profiles, so the bulk isn't as "bad" as the iPhone 7 Plus or 6S Plus. The S7 does feel nicer in the hand, but that's because of the build quality being more supreme. I guess holding onto my S7 makes more financial sense. I looked at the monthly price for the Apple iPhone Upgrade Plan, it's about $42 a month for the phone. That's a steep asking price.

Reactions: 5105973

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I prefer the S7 size to the iPhone 6S Plus size I had. The Note 7 or Note 5 have nice profiles, so the bulk isn't as "bad" as the iPhone 7 Plus or 6S Plus. The S7 does feel nicer in the hand, but that's because of the build quality being more supreme. I guess holding onto my S7 makes more financial sense. I looked at the monthly price for the Apple iPhone Upgrade Plan, it's about $42 a month for the phone. That's a steep asking price.

It's $32 a month if you do it through your carrier, and you can upgrade every year too as soon as you pay off 50%, you just give back your phone. Only downside is it does not include applecare, so if you add applecare it would still be $40 a month.

I feel that you would be better off sticking with your current phone until the iphone 8 comes out because you would likely miss a lot of the features of the s7 like the always on QHD display, wireless charging, fast charging.

The biggest advantage of the iphone 7 would be it will blow the samsung out of the water in terms of speed and fluidity. It is a much faster phone, no lag, apps will feel like they load instantly compared to the s7 which takes longer.

Basically you're giving up all the samsung features for a phone that is extremely fast. If you need speed or play graphicly intensive games then it's definitely worth it, but if you don't mind having a somewhat slower phone with tons more amazing features than the Iphone, I'd stick with what you have.

Reactions: nviz22

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Buy and try. You can always return it. OS does less so it should be lighter. Prediction is most would go back to S7/Note 7 and wait to see iPhone 8 which sounds to be closer to S7 with glass redesign so wireless charging is likely, IRIS scanner, OLED, maybe return of 3.5mm like Samsung with uSD slot, etc. but there's still the question of OS, services, app ecosystem and AI.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple...ase-date-rumours-specs-features-detailed-2017

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If the i7+ was like 10x faster than the S7, then I would say get the i7+. But IMO, the speed between the two is so minute, that it's only noticeable in comparison. And to give up the features, display, and design of the S7 would not be worth it for just a notch of smoothness that you'll notice on the i7+. The i7+ is also pretty large compared to the S7, and even the S7 edge.

But if you're having issues with battery life on the S7 that isn't being resolved, then you should at least give the i7+ a try and return it within the return window if you don't think it's worth it.

The S8 and S8 edge, will most likely be irresistible. So the wait would be worth it.

Reactions: jamesrick80

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I'm in a similar boat except I'm debating the jump from the S7E although in my case I'll break even making the jump should I decide to sell my S7E and my current back up phone.

The S7E hardware is great but the software has really been butchered since the initial build it shipped with, a lot of bugs have been introduced and random drain is extremely common. My battery doesn't even last 60% of how long it lasted with the initial software build.

I'm really conflicted but I know I can always return the device should I not like it or feel it justifies the cost. I'll let the decision simmer in my mind and figure it out later as I really don't know whether it's worth the jump at the moment, it's also heavily dependant upon reviews

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
I think you should take advantage of Apple's 14 day return policy and try to use the iPhone, and then make your own decision based on your experience. You can't really go wrong, specially since it is clear you enjoy Android at least a bit more.

Reactions: Truefan31

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I think you should take advantage of Apple's 14 day return policy and try to use the iPhone, and then make your own decision based on your experience. You can't really go wrong, specially since it is clear you enjoy Android at least a bit more.
I own an iPad Air 2 presently but I haven't owned an iPhone since the 3GS days when I first switched to Android and really haven't considered an iPhone since.

I think the best option would be for me try it out like you said and see how I like it, regardless I'll be picking up a new phone in a year so I wouldn't exactly be suffering with it for too long and the resale value on iPhone is exceptional compared to Samsung devices.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

The iPhone 7 Plus has no headphone jack, meaning trouble with Aux audio in my car. No quick charge means long iPhone charge times still. Music is a bit of a headache to get because of iTunes. Ringtones aren't easily created either. ?

Use a 3mm Bluetooth adapter. A little dongle plug into the 3mm jack in the car and connect to it via Bluetooth on the phone. SORTED ;) $10-20 on eBay or Amazon

Use Spotify, Deezer, Google Play Music etc.. instead of iTunes for music. You aren't that restricted at all.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013

Honestly, I don't think I want to wait the 2-3 weeks for the shipping + deal with the hassle of a return possibly because I know iOS 9.3.X and it was a solid experience. iOS 10 is something I haven't tried, but it will lose its lust after a few days. I sat down and thought it over. I just had a guy create issues from my last iPhone 6S Plus sale because he couldn't understand that Apple Care was "optional, but extra" under a description of the phone. It's going to suck having to flip my S7 again since it's less than a month old right now.

The headphone jack issue is a huge Apple blunder. As LIVEFRMNYC mentioned, the speed isn't worth the trade offs. When I left my iPhone behind, I was glad at the flexibility I got through the S7. I honestly don't even know if Apple will offer this nifty feature here: using fingerprints to log into websites

Speed isn't everything, especially given the price tag. It's going to be actually $38 a month for the phone, but that $ could be used more wisely for other needs. I guess it also depends on the reviews. I do know that I am in no rush to get the 7+ because I don't have an obsolete phone. As of now, the S7 stays unless the 7+ dramatically reinvents the battery power wheel, iOS 10 has amazing features, etc.

I don't like the home buttons that are in a fixed position and you tap or keep your finger down for gestures. If Apple had an always on Touch ID, that would be a huge point in their favor for me.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If the i7+ was like 10x faster than the S7, then I would say get the i7+. But IMO, the speed between the two is so minute, that it's only noticeable in comparison. And to give up the features, display, and design of the S7 would not be worth it for just a notch of smoothness that you'll notice on the i7+. The i7+ is also pretty large compared to the S7, and even the S7 edge.

But if you're having issues with battery life on the S7 that isn't being resolved, then you should at least give the i7+ a try and return it within the return window if you don't think it's worth it.

The S8 and S8 edge, will most likely be irresistible. So the wait would be worth it.

I was basically about to say all of this. Spot on.

If you compare, I have no doubt the 7+ will be speedier. The a10 fusion is absolutely brilliant. Plus 3gb of RAM. However, if you can move past just comparing, the s7 will be plenty fast enough plus every other advantage it has.

Unless there are features of the iPhone 7 plus you can't be without, the s7 is the way to go. Then the Pixel and s8 will be interesting, too, and not too far off.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I was basically about to say all of this. Spot on.

If you compare, I have no doubt the 7+ will be speedier. The a10 fusion is absolutely brilliant. Plus 3gb of RAM. However, if you can move past just comparing, the s7 will be plenty fast enough plus every other advantage it has.

Unless there are features of the iPhone 7 plus you can't be without, the s7 is the way to go. Then the Pixel and s8 will be interesting, too, and not too far off.

I have survived without iMessage, the Apple ecosystem, App Store's app selection, iPhone standby battery life, software optimization, and whatever else iOS has.

I have a strong preference for predictive dialing, a notification LED, and Android widgets.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Don't be mislead the regular 5.1 s7 has a "bigger battery" means longer battery life. The bigger iPhone has the better battery life even with all the stuff turned off (notifications, background apps running etc). I own both.

S7 is the "perfect" size. I own s7 and iPhone 6s Plus. I just can't stand the edge screens of the s7 edge (I hated the s6 edge plus last fall and returned it). Wish Samsung would put huge battery in the regular s7 like they put in the s7 active. That to me would be the perfect phone.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have survived without iMessage, the Apple ecosystem, App Store's app selection, iPhone standby battery life, software optimization, and whatever else iOS has.

I have a strong preference for predictive dialing, a notification LED, and Android widgets.

I think the answer is simple then, my friend. I relate to everything you've said.

Reactions: nviz22

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

It's those times when I decide to switch it up and use my 6S+ for several days or weeks, that I realize how invaluable some of the simple things on Android phones are.

For example, when a lighting cable is being stubborn and you think it's still charging your iPhone, only to find out it quit charging. And now you're stuck with barely no battery life when you need it the most. This would not happen with any of my Android phones, cause I would notice the LED light is not static red or off by just a glance. And a static green easily tells it's fully charged. With the iPhone you'll have to keep checking by turning the display on.

And YES, predictive dialing is so much faster than a search or scrolling contacts.

Also, I bluetooth photos and files to other's computers and devices frequently. Doing that with iOS is a crap shoot and hassle most of the time.

In my experience, Since Marshmallow, Standby battery light has been near equivilent to the iPhone standby life. iPhone still has the best standby life though. On Marshmallow, I would say maybe once a month, I do get the type of bad standby life that makes me say ...WTF!!! But that's not common for me.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sounds like what I'm going through trying to decide between GalaxyS7 and IPhone 7 when I go to trade in my iPhone 6SPlus.

The Galaxy S7 I'm using now is just a temp until my new non exploding (I hope) Note7 gets back to me.

I'll have the Note7 on a new line and the iPhone SE (that I'm keeping) on my original line. I have an iPhone 6SPlus sitting around without a sim that I am going to trade when the warranty is up on it. Meanwhile I'm using it like an iPod.

I would have been fine with just the SE as my daily driver in-pocket phone and my Note 7 as my phablet. But then I got to try the S7 and I realized I liked the size well enough, liked the water resistance and really appreciate having loads of storage via the SD card. I have to baby my SE when I'm around water, which is often, and I'm already almost out of the 64GB's due to my penchant for photographing and videoing every day.

The Galaxy S7 would be a no-brainer as my alternate pocket friendly daily driver except for:

*In indoor incandescent lighting, I can't easily get non blurry photos of people in motion. They have to pose stock still for me or the pic is blurred. I had this same problem on my Note7.

*Some colors are just too saturated. Even if I view them on my iPhone screen. Color accuracy is a bit off, too. Everything looks gorgeous and well lit, but the people are blurry, dull maroon shirts are bright red and blues pop too much.

*The damned phone sometimes locks me out when my fingerprint fails to register after a few tries. It's happened once on the Note 7 and twice on the Galaxy S7. Then it forced me to wait for a 30 second countdown timer before I could try my print or even a password again! On the Note 7 I tried my print again when the countdown timer finished and it made me go through another timer when my print failed. I got locked out of my phone a full minute! I can put up with this on a phablet I'm using as a pocket planner but I will NOT put up with this horsepoop on my daily driver.

Why why why does it do that sometimes, seemingly at random, and how do I make it stop, never to return again? Normally my prints register very well and fairly quickly on the S7. But if my hand is a bit damp after washing up it can fail to register. Or if I'm in a rush.

*There seem to be some shenanigans with emails. I sent a photo from my SE using my Gmail account to my ICloud account. The photo made it just fine to my ICloud account and went to my SE. It would not go to my S7. It's been a day and it is still missing. I also replied to a friend's email using my S7. There is a possibility she did receive it and just hasn't answered back yet. But my friend is not one to delay and our conversation was one we are eager to have. Not quite to texting level urgency. But we usually get back to each other fast. I'm not sure she's gotten it. I'll follow up in a day or two, but after my email to myself went astray, I wonder.

That's it for now. My morning coffee is wearing off and I can not brain much further. ;)

I'm not rushing into an decisions and will wait for the reviews to come in for the iPhone 7. As you all might be able to glean from my new signature, I am really, really burned by the lack of a headphone jack. I would not mind so much if Phil Schiller had not come across as such an arrogant donkey about its removal. :mad:

Reactions: nviz22 and msavic

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
As an update to my situation, I decided to take advantage of the return policy at Apple and give the iPhone 7 Plus a thorough testing. I lucked out and was able to pre-order one last night and should be receiving it launch day.

At that point I will have 14 days to conduct a comprehensive comparison between the two devices and then sell off the inferior device. There's also really no loss for me if I don't return the iPhone to Apple as it seems people are willing to pay 300-500 over the retail price on Craigslist for the phone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Sounds like what I'm going through trying to decide between GalaxyS7 and IPhone 7 when I go to trade in my iPhone 6SPlus.

The Galaxy S7 I'm using now is just a temp until my new non exploding (I hope) Note7 gets back to me.

I'll have the Note7 on a new line and the iPhone SE (that I'm keeping) on my original line. I have an iPhone 6SPlus sitting around without a sim that I am going to trade when the warranty is up on it. Meanwhile I'm using it like an iPod.

I would have been fine with just the SE as my daily driver in-pocket phone and my Note 7 as my phablet. But then I got to try the S7 and I realized I liked the size well enough, liked the water resistance and really appreciate having loads of storage via the SD card. I have to baby my SE when I'm around water, which is often, and I'm already almost out of the 64GB's due to my penchant for photographing and videoing every day.

The Galaxy S7 would be a no-brainer as my alternate pocket friendly daily driver except for:

*In indoor incandescent lighting, I can't easily get non blurry photos of people in motion. They have to pose stock still for me or the pic is blurred. I had this same problem on my Note7.

*Some colors are just too saturated. Even if I view them on my iPhone screen. Color accuracy is a bit off, too. Everything looks gorgeous and well lit, but the people are blurry, dull maroon shirts are bright red and blues pop too much.

*The damned phone sometimes locks me out when my fingerprint fails to register after a few tries. It's happened once on the Note 7 and twice on the Galaxy S7. Then it forced me to wait for a 30 second countdown timer before I could try my print or even a password again! On the Note 7 I tried my print again when the countdown timer finished and it made me go through another timer when my print failed. I got locked out of my phone a full minute! I can put up with this on a phablet I'm using as a pocket planner but I will NOT put up with this horsepoop on my daily driver.

Why why why does it do that sometimes, seemingly at random, and how do I make it stop, never to return again? Normally my prints register very well and fairly quickly on the S7. But if my hand is a bit damp after washing up it can fail to register. Or if I'm in a rush.

*There seem to be some shenanigans with emails. I sent a photo from my SE using my Gmail account to my ICloud account. The photo made it just fine to my ICloud account and went to my SE. It would not go to my S7. It's been a day and it is still missing. I also replied to a friend's email using my S7. There is a possibility she did receive it and just hasn't answered back yet. But my friend is not one to delay and our conversation was one we are eager to have. Not quite to texting level urgency. But we usually get back to each other fast. I'm not sure she's gotten it. I'll follow up in a day or two, but after my email to myself went astray, I wonder.

That's it for now. My morning coffee is wearing off and I can not brain much further. ;)

I'm not rushing into an decisions and will wait for the reviews to come in for the iPhone 7. As you all might be able to glean from my new signature, I am really, really burned by the lack of a headphone jack. I would not mind so much if Phil Schiller had not come across as such an arrogant donkey about its removal. :mad:

I believe that you're set with a perfect iOS device as a compliment to your Android device of your choice. The SE is the best little guy around. A9 processing power + 2GB of RAM = deadly combo. The 4K camera might not have OIS, but at least it gets good photo shots. 3D Touch being non-existent is a bummer, but it's not necessary and keeps the pricing down a bit. You have pretty much the power of a 6S/6S+ in a small form factor. It will last a good 2-3 years as long as you manage your phone through conventional wear and tear with proper protection.

If I had to go two phones, I think I would go SE + premium Android. However, an iPhone 7+ is a good alternative to the Note 7. Cheaper androids have more options at the $250-$400 mark. You could get a Moto G and an i7+. Androids don't have that 4" mark as much, which makes Apple's stupidly fast A9 processing an attractive medium.
[doublepost=1473447917][/doublepost]
As an update to my situation, I decided to take advantage of the return policy at Apple and give the iPhone 7 Plus a thorough testing. I lucked out and was able to pre-order one last night and should be receiving it launch day.

At that point I will have 14 days to conduct a comprehensive comparison between the two devices and then sell off the inferior device. There's also really no loss for me if I don't return the iPhone to Apple as it seems people are willing to pay 300-500 over the retail price on Craigslist for the phone.

For me, I have a nightmare with flipping my old iPhone, so I am not going to bother with any sales, so I have to stay strong with my S7 plan because it will be awhile before I am ready to venture into another resale.

Reactions: 5105973

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
To me, iOS and Android are such different experiences that it's tough to switch back and forth. I'm a recent convert from an iPhone to an S7 Edge (well, technically, from an iPhone to an explosion-prone Note 7 and then to an S7 Edge). I always thought it was way too much of a hassle to switch to Android and hated the laggy and crash-laden Android experience. Except a funny thing happened this time. The S7 Edge isn't laggy and it never crashes. I'm absolutely in love with the QHD screen, the always-on display, the nice form factor of the S7 Edge (perfect size), and the overall flexibility of iOS. When I pick up my 6S+, it feels a little like I'm going back in time. Still a nice device, but inferior screen, no app drawer, no customizability on the launcher, limited widgets, limited interoperability between apps. Can't do it, can't go back.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've determined that I'm not ready to leave Apple just yet. I'm giving the JB7+ a shot, upgrading from the 6S.

I gave a great deal of consideration to the Note 7 prior to preordering.

Reactions: MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
To me, iOS and Android are such different experiences that it's tough to switch back and forth. I'm a recent convert from an iPhone to an S7 Edge (well, technically, from an iPhone to an explosion-prone Note 7 and then to an S7 Edge). I always thought it was way too much of a hassle to switch to Android and hated the laggy and crash-laden Android experience. Except a funny thing happened this time. The S7 Edge isn't laggy and it never crashes. I'm absolutely in love with the QHD screen, the always-on display, the nice form factor of the S7 Edge (perfect size), and the overall flexibility of iOS. When I pick up my 6S+, it feels a little like I'm going back in time. Still a nice device, but inferior screen, no app drawer, no customizability on the launcher, limited widgets, limited interoperability between apps. Can't do it, can't go back.

Uh, do you mean "the overall flexibility of Android?" Not "iOS?" iOS is operable, but it is more laden with roadblocks.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Uh, do you mean "the overall flexibility of Android?" Not "iOS?" iOS is operable, but it is more laden with roadblocks.

This becomes less true with every iteration of iOS. The lack of flexibility was why I abandoned Apple and got the S5, Note 4 and S6.

With the iPhone 6S and iOS 9 and 10 the feature set of iOS has gotten increasingly robust, though I still miss many aspects of the android experience.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I feel very similarly.

Whenever I have to use iOS, it feels like the less advance OS between the two. In many ways.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

See, just goes to show that users experiences can vary so widely---I'm having much the opposite experience. There are many aspects of Android I like, some even more than iOS but unfortunately, web browsing isn't one of them. In fact, I find it so far inferior that it's pretty much making up my mind for me.

Having a consistent web experience across all of my devices is at the top of my priority list. Specifically, I want syncing across all devices with the ability to quickly transition from one to another. That means I'm not going to use different browsers on different devices, thus limiting me to those available on all platforms so that means Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera. I'll be upfront that Safari is easily my favorite, offering IMO the best experience on mobile (phone and tablet) but unfortunately, in classic Apple fashion, I can't get it outside of Apple devices. I can use any of these on the desktop (though Chrome is damn power hungry on the Mac) but Chrome, Firefox and Opera all have glaring weakness on tablets, smartphones, or both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.