Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
So, I was up in the air a couple weeks ago about having an iPhone vs. My note 8.
Decided to stick with Samsung at least for now.
However I do not need the size of the note or the s pen as I have not really used it.
I usually keep my phones in an otterbox case with it clipped INSIDE my pocket.
On my not I got a slim case and just put it inside my pocket.

Either way I am wondering If I should go for the S9 or the S9 Plus?

Also should I continue to keep the phone in a slimmer case or go back to the rugged otterbox with it inside of my pocket?

(Anyone else use the otterbox defender cases?)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Neither. I would stick with the Note 8 because it's a phenomenal phone. If you have to go with a new one, then go S9 since the S9+ is about the same screen size as the Note 8.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So, I was up in the air a couple weeks ago about having an iPhone vs. My note 8.
Decided to stick with Samsung at least for now.
However I do not need the size of the note or the s pen as I have not really used it.
I usually keep my phones in an otterbox case with it clipped INSIDE my pocket.
On my not I got a slim case and just put it inside my pocket.

Also should I continue to keep the phone in a slimmer case or go back to the rugged otterbox with it inside of my pocket?

(Anyone else use the otterbox defender cases?)

I've had both and actually prefer the size of the S9. These phones are pretty heavy (even the S9) so I feel like the S9 feels best in hand. I've learned over the past several years that I actually prefer the size of these somewhat smaller phones like the S8/S9 (honestly, too narrow though), Essential Phone, iPhone X, etc.

As for case, I absolutely can't stand cases so I just go with a slim Spigen TPU case for the times I need one. I have this case for both S9 and S9+: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Durab...TF8&qid=1524077751&sr=8-13&keywords=spigen+s9

but the case preference comes down to how clumsy you are with devices. I tend to baby mine and rarely drop them, so I feel more comfortable going without a case most times or throwing on the above case when I feel like I need it.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

If you look at the specs for the Note 8 and S9+ I think that from a size perspective they are nearly identical.

If you feel that the Note 8 is too big for your needs then I think you will want to go with the S9.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
I've had both and actually prefer the size of the S9. These phones are pretty heavy (even the S9) so I feel like the S9 feels best in hand. I've learned over the past several years that I actually prefer the size of these somewhat smaller phones like the S8/S9 (honestly, too narrow though), Essential Phone, iPhone X, etc.

As for case, I absolutely can't stand cases so I just go with a slim Spigen TPU case for the times I need one. I have this case for both S9 and S9+: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Durab...TF8&qid=1524077751&sr=8-13&keywords=spigen+s9

but the case preference comes down to how clumsy you are with devices. I tend to baby mine and rarely drop them, so I feel more comfortable going without a case most times or throwing on the above case when I feel like I need it.

Do you miss the dual camera?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
@Dodgeman Since you're still a bit unsure about the Galaxy you want to stick with and thought about an iPhone X, I suggest making a series of columns on scratch paper or many pieces of scratch paper. Write down pros and cons for each phone and use a process of elimination to decide what product works better. That's what I am going to do when I have multiple phones I want to consider for my next daily driver.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Do you miss the dual camera?

No. I'm not too impressed with Samsung's bokeh from the note 8 / s9+. The selective focus on the s9 (takes 2 photos and combines them) works well for when I want portrait mode. I'm spoiled by the P 2XL camera, so all other portrait modes pale in comparison ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
To me the curves on the S9+ make it feel smaller than the Note 8. I find it a pleasant phone to hold and to look at, but I’m not usually in the habit of using my phones one-handed unless it’s an iPhone SE. I own two Samsung folio style cases for it and they protect the phone beautifully without the need for a display protector. However, they’re not really meant for drop/impact protection the way an Otterbox is. That’s because if you drop the phone with the cover open and it lands face down, the display likely will break.

I’m a heavy user of the zoom lenses on my phones because I take a lot of pictures of wildlife and feral cats and it’s hard to get close to them. The zooms let me get shots I otherwise could not. I also use them for portraits because they don’t distort faces as much as the wider angled lenses do.

So that’s why I’ve gone with larger phones with dual lenses even though I favor smaller form factors for being easier to carry.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
@Dodgeman Since you're still a bit unsure about the Galaxy you want to stick with and thought about an iPhone X, I suggest making a series of columns on scratch paper or many pieces of scratch paper. Write down pros and cons for each phone and use a process of elimination to decide what product works better. That's what I am going to do when I have multiple phones I want to consider for my next daily driver.

Seriously was going to do this. This has been a tough decision.

No. I'm not too impressed with Samsung's bokeh from the note 8 / s9+. The selective focus on the s9 (takes 2 photos and combines them) works well for when I want portrait mode. I'm spoiled by the P 2XL camera, so all other portrait modes pale in comparison ;)

This is what I want to talk about. You think the battery life is sufficent enough vs the s9 plus?
The dual cameras you do not miss?
To be honest the camera and the battery are the only reasons I want the plus.
The S9 to me is the perfect size (especially If i use an otterbox).
It just I do not want to have a phone for 2 years and regret the camera.

To me the curves on the S9+ make it feel smaller than the Note 8. I find it a pleasant phone to hold and to look at, but I’m not usually in the habit of using my phones one-handed unless it’s an iPhone SE. I own two Samsung folio style cases for it and they protect the phone beautifully without the need for a display protector. However, they’re not really meant for drop/impact protection the way an Otterbox is. That’s because if you drop the phone with the cover open and it lands face down, the display likely will break.

I’m a heavy user of the zoom lenses on my phones because I take a lot of pictures of wildlife and feral cats and it’s hard to get close to them. The zooms let me get shots I otherwise could not. I also use them for portraits because they don’t distort faces as much as the wider angled lenses do.

So that’s why I’ve gone with larger phones with dual lenses even though I favor smaller form factors for being easier to carry.

Thanks for the response. The keyboard typing sucks on this compared to the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.