Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
2022 M2 based iPad Pros will not do 160Mhz channel width on 5Ghz band. To utilize 160Mhz width, your router needs to have 6Ghz band.

Kinda bummer because most mid and high end routers sold in last 3 years will support 160Mhz on 5Ghz to achieve 2400 Mbps link speeds.

So right now, with just 1200 Mbps link speed, I cannot max out my gigabit wifi connection and would have to buy a 6e Router.

/rant !

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Is there any documentation to back this up ?
Im on a WiFI 6 router not 6e, and the improvements from my old 2018 iPad Pro to finally being on WiFi 6 on both ends is a game changer. Everything is snappy and immediately loaded.
And I’ve got Google Fiber 1GB. I’ve stress tested my system and as a consumer there nothing better that exists period.

Id love to get WiFi 6e but I can’t see any tangible benefits.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
So Apple is purposely limiting 160 Mhz channel width on 5Ghz bands to show how their device's 6e experience is superior. Hell even Pixel 6a which is a bargain bin device supports 160 Mhz on 5Ghz leading to superior Wifi performance compared to my iPad Pro 2022. Almost 90% of the world has not released 6Ghz for Wifi6e/7 use and it would have been better for consumers to utilize their current Wifi6 gear fully.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Same issue with iPhone 15 Pros and latest Macbooks. Sad life. Apple has purposely made all 5Ghz 160Mhz width capable Wifi6 routers obsolete as Apple devices cannot utilise them to their max potential. ….. and they talk about mother nature and being environment friendly. Now people will throw their perfectly working Wifi6 router and get Wifi6e or Wifi7 router which will have reduced range on 6Ghz.

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Maybe he's invested a couple thousand $$$ in a state of the art NAS he uses for media streaming or big file management? Perhaps he needs the speeds on his home network and not necessarily WAN. There are so many use cases that are legitimate and where gigabit speeds are highly desirable, no need to be so dismissive.

Reactions: Wizec and d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Good to confirm you don't really have a reasonable response to that, for a second I thought I was missing out on something
No the real reason is my country has not released 6Ghz for Wifi 6e/7 use and I cannot enjoy gigabit speeds on my iPad. I do most of my work on iPad and that includes downloading 50-60 Gb work files. I get limited to 400-600 Mbps at best in ideal conditions (1200 Mbps link speed) just because of Apple's arrogance. However, Pixel 6/7/8,OnePlus 11/12 and even Samsung Galaxy S21/S22/S23/S24 connect at 2400 Mbps link speeds to my 5Ghz router and achieve 1.4 to 1.5 Gbps actual speeds.

Your head is so far up Apple's rear that you believe the company can do no wrong. There is NO valid reason for Apple to not allow 160 Mhz channel width on 5Ghz when almost all mid-tier and above routers support it. TBH, there is really no need for Wifi6e.

I will use my devices whichever way I want.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
No the real reason is my country has not released 6Ghz for Wifi 6e/7 use and I cannot enjoy gigabit speeds on my iPad. I do most of my work on iPad and that includes downloading 50-60 Gb work files. I get limited to 400-600 Mbps at best in ideal conditions (1200 Mbps link speed) just because of Apple's arrogance. However, Pixel 6/7/8,OnePlus 11/12 and even Samsung Galaxy S21/S22/S23/S24 connect at 2400 Mbps link speeds to my 5Ghz router and achieve 1.4 to 1.5 Gbps actual speeds.

Your head is so far up Apple's rear that you believe the company can do no wrong. There is NO valid reason for Apple to not allow 160 Mhz channel width on 5Ghz when almost all mid-tier and above routers support it. TBH, there is really no need for Wifi6e.

I will use my devices whichever way I want.
I wanted to learn of a legitimate use-case that warrants being this agitated over a more-overkill net speed, with even like 500mbit being practically overkill for just about anything a person could be doing at home nowadays. Especially on an iPad.

I wasn't actually defending anyone, in any way shape or form, but feel free to jump to your own little conclusions if that makes you happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.