Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I've had the Saddle Brown Classic buckle since it was introduced and it quickly became my favourite watch strap.

But recently it has just started falling apart. Leather is splitting and literally falling apart. I wouldn't say I'm overly rough on it, just normal everyday use. I have a sport band too that I use for more rigorous activities.

Wondering if anyone else had this problem with their leather straps from Apple? Is this a problem with their first gen leather straps?

I really want to get another one but at $200 CDN, it's a big investment on a watch strap. Especially if it's gonna fall apart again.

IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has the leather band been subjected to water? Because your band resembles what water damage would look like with leather, especially the separation.

Also, the flueroastamer bands are very durable and can withstand just anything, which is how they were designed to.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Has the leather band been subjected to water? Because your band resembles what water damage would look like with leather, especially the separation.

Also, the flueroastamer bands are very durable and can withstand just anything, which is how they were designed to.
Never submerged it in water. Probably has gotten wet from splashes of water when washing my hands.

I see the newer ones have stitching on it. It probably is better quality?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never submerged it in water. Probably has gotten wet from splashes of water when washing my hands.

I see the newer ones have stitching on it. It probably is better quality?

The only reason I ask, is water a huge enemy against leather. The new leather bands seem just as well made as the original.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for responses guys. I think I will pull the trigger and grab a new saddle brown strap. I don't trust those 3rd party knock offs off Amazon.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Thanks for responses guys. I think I will pull the trigger and grab a new saddle brown strap. I don't trust those 3rd party knock offs off Amazon.
There are a lot of companies that make high quality bands for the Apple Watch. Just because an accessory is 3rd party, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad quality. The word "knockoff" only applied if they're trying to make an inferior replica of one of Apple's bands.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I'd add to WarHeadz comment to say that many 3rd party bands are much better quality than what Apple makes. Hard to believe, I know, but go look at the 3rd party band thread and you'll see what I mean.

I bought a leather band off a reputable dealer on Amazon and it's been great! Have had it since February.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I'd add to WarHeadz comment to say that many 3rd party bands are much better quality than what Apple makes. Hard to believe, I know.

Hard to believe because it's not true, IMO. The Apple classic buckles are really great, especially the newer generations. That being said, if there is one kind of AW band where I would consider third party bands, it's leather. Apparently it's much easier to make a nice leather band than to match Apple's quality in the sport and nylon bands.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Hard to believe because it's not true, IMO. The Apple classic buckles are really great, especially the newer generations. That being said, if there is one kind of AW band where I would consider third party bands, it's leather. Apparently it's much easier to make a nice leather band than to match Apple's quality in the sport and nylon bands.
Agreed. Apples bands are by far the best.

Nothing compares to the leather loop or link bracelet. Went through almost 8 different brands for each of them and finally learned my lesson and bought real ones.

My comment only pertains to "knockoffs" or companies trying to make there band like apples.

I know there are ton of good quality ones with there own unique design.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I didn't say "all third party bands" sheesh. I said many. The OP was talking leather and I know there are many companies that do leather really well. Heck, even Apple has a deal with Hermes who is a 3rd party. Apple does bands pretty well and they charge the price for them. But to say they are the best implies that no one makes bands better and IMHO that is being narrow minded.

Ixidor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
Leather straps will always eventually wear out. If you want a (classy) strap that lasts for ages, maybe consider a stainless steel one. The milanese loop has the same price point or the link bracelet if you can stomach the cost (or buy second hand). Alternatively, you could also try third party stainless steel bracelets.

Assuming that Apple doesn't change the connector of the Apple Watch for the next few generations and/or you continue to use your apple watch for a couple of years, maybe it is worth getting a stainless steel band for everyday non-sport use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.