Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trickbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Since updating Safari to 10.0.2 on El Capitan, I'm experiencing huge memory leak issues. Safari, would become unresponsinve and fail to shut down without a Force Quit. I cleared the cache and reset everything but to no avail.

Then El Capitan gave me an Out of Memory dialog box, after Safari had been open in the background with no tabs open for a few minutes. After a Force Quit, I opened it again and checked it in Activity Monitor and watched as the used memory climbed by about 30Mb a second.

I have had to switch browsers for the time being. Hopefully someone at Apple can come up with a fix soon.

trickbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Same problem here...

A fix that worked for me, is to go to your ~/Library/safari folder and delete or rename it, while Safari is shut down. Restart Safari and it creates a new folder with new settings, you may loose your history, favorites, unless you sync Safari settings using iCloud, but at least the browser works again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.