Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I get the impression that Safari 11 is faster than Safari 10, or at least definitely not slower than Safari 10. I know there are some optimizations, but are there any comparative benchmarks comparing 10 vs 11? I haven't found any.

But the best part is that after several days of using Safari 11, I have not come across any website with auto-play video, without my having to resort to terminal commands or third party add-ons. This is a HUGE benefit. I'm not sure if significantly affects speed, but it certainly improves the surfing experience. It makes ads tolerable again. And in a way it does affect surfing speed dramatically in that I no longer have to manually shut off the sound or the video entirely. For example, CNN.com was particularly bad, but now surfing CNN.com doesn't suck as much. Now they just need to get rid of the ridiculous paid content.

BTW, I ran some JavaScript benchmarks in High Sierra. Safari 11 outperforms both Chrome 61 and Firefox 55 in both Octane and Kraken. On my old 2009 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, Safari in Octane 2.0 gets ~13450 whereas Chrome and Firefox are similar at ~12100 and 12000 respectively (higher is better). For Kraken 1.1, it's 2093 ms for Safari vs 2634 for Chrome and 2767 for Firefox (low is better). Those speeds overall are slow, and I'm not sure how relevant JavaScript benchmarks are these days, but overall the speed in Safari 11 even on such an old machine is OK for general surfing, and with auto-play blocked it makes for a reasonable surfing experience.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
On my 2012 MBA I also notice that complex websites load faster in Safari 11, in Sierra I saw a beach ball once in a while in those cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.