Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Since yesterday a new Safari 14.0.3 update is showing among my updates
It should be a new one but lately I'm afraid to do the update looking at the various issues that came with those updates
Has anyone updated it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2013.1

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I'm personally going to wait a bit before updating...I finally got my machine working good for right now.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
from Version

14.0.3 (14610.4.3.1.6)
to
14.0.3 (14610.4.3.1.7)

Where did you find that "14.0.3 (14610.4.3.1.7)" version info?
I would like to check and make sure I have the latest version.
SilentKnight is silent, so I assume my version is the latest.

Edit: Nevermind, started Safari up, and the "About " menu showed that indeed, I have the latest one.
Thanks anyway.
???

MacWizzy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
My 2012 MBP hasn't updated Safari 14.0.1 to 14.0.3 though I'm sure it's set to update apps automatically. I can't work out how to download the latest version. Safari has been driving me mad since last year not being able to attach files to emails in Outlook and after some research I've discovered that Safari is the issue!! I've started using Chrome but have always liked Safari. Any advice on how I upgrade? I'm not a techie so any simple advice welcome. Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My 2012 MBP hasn't updated Safari 14.0.1 to 14.0.3 though I'm sure it's set to update apps automatically. I can't work out how to download the latest version. Safari has been driving me mad since last year not being able to attach files to emails in Outlook and after some research I've discovered that Safari is the issue!! I've started using Chrome but have always liked Safari. Any advice on how I upgrade? I'm not a techie so any simple advice welcome. Thanks
Does your computer have any other outstanding updates? You will probably need to install any security updates available before you see the Safari update.

MacWizzy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Does your computer have any other outstanding updates? You will probably need to install any security updates available before you see the Safari update.
Thanks so much for replying.

When I checked previously I saw it wanted to update to Catalina and I just closed the window as I don't want to upgrade. (Last time I upgraded to Mojave I had lots of issues . Also, I'm still running on Office 2011 so reluctant to risk upgrading and causing issues. I may later in the year when I upgrade to Office 2021 - my Excel is so slow I can't bear it much longer!! ).

Anyway, I've checked again but this time I also clicked on 'more info' and see there is a security update for Mojave AND Safari 14.0.3 :D .
I am a bit confused as I have ticked 'automatically keep my Mac up to date' so expected all Mac updates to happen automatically!

So thank you again for the advice and I'm going to do the updates now.:)

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
This update seems to have made my Safari more stable. Perhaps a little snappier too. ?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks so much for replying.

When I checked previously I saw it wanted to update to Catalina and I just closed the window as I don't want to upgrade. (Last time I upgraded to Mojave I had lots of issues . Also, I'm still running on Office 2011 so reluctant to risk upgrading and causing issues. I may later in the year when I upgrade to Office 2021 - my Excel is so slow I can't bear it much longer!! ).

Anyway, I've checked again but this time I also clicked on 'more info' and see there is a security update for Mojave AND Safari 14.0.3 :D .
I am a bit confused as I have ticked 'automatically keep my Mac up to date' so expected all Mac updates to happen automatically!

So thank you again for the advice and I'm going to do the updates now.:)
To avoid updating to Catalina and disable that red badge on the System Preferences Icon:
these are the "Red Badge Killer" commands:
1. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
2. defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
3. softwareupdate --list or softwareupdate -l
To check to see that it works, which asks the software updater to check for updates:
This works until you open the Software Update preference pane again (so save these commands in a text file for easy access.
Then visit this HP, https://eclecticlight.co/lockrattler-systhist/ Look for Silentknight (2 versions, eithier one will work)
Running the SilentKnight software will allow you to do all the updates (including Safari) or just some of them one at a time by copy and paste - see the SilentKnight pull down menu. Lockrattler does the same thing, only more complex.
You may have to put a check in the SilentKnight pull down menu to have the software check for updates when you start it up, and to have it offer the chance to "install" any updates. I have no connection at all with that company, just a very impressed user!

Last edited:

MacWizzy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Just finished updating and can once again attach files to Outlook emails... ? so pleased I've managed to upgrade so thanks again for the tip.
Now.. just got to sort out other niggles (like the fact it can take five minutes for my MBP to wake up when I open the lid!!! :eek: looking at the sleep and wake modes to see if that helps?! )

It would have been helpful ... :rolleyes: .. if instead of simply listing the Catalina OS on the first Updates page, Apple listed all the important ones (like a security update!) as I simply assumed that
a )'more info' referred to the Catalina update
b) there weren't any other updates
c) my Mac was automatically updating essential things!

We live and learn!!! ;)

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Just finished updating and can once again attach files to Outlook emails... ? so pleased I've managed to upgrade so thanks again for the tip.
Now.. just got to sort out other niggles (like the fact it can take five minutes for my MBP to wake up when I open the lid!!! :eek: looking at the sleep and wake modes to see if that helps?! )

It would have been helpful ... :rolleyes: .. if instead of simply listing the Catalina OS on the first Updates page, Apple listed all the important ones (like a security update!) as I simply assumed that
a )'more info' referred to the Catalina update
b) there weren't any other updates
c) my Mac was automatically updating essential things!

We live and learn!!! ;)
Here are some terminal commands related to sleep etc.

pmset -g Shows what you have set now.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
--Ignore any message saying there is no such file
sudo touch /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo chflags uchg /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0
--This command may produce a warning saying some features may not work properly. This is fine, it simply disables Internet access during sleep. This is the same as disabling "PowerNap" Apple's badly implemented (demented?) attempt to have apps update themselves during sleep behind the users back.
sudo pmset -a standbydelaylow 86400
sudo pmset -a standbydelayhigh 86400
:cool:

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Only Safari 14.1.2 is still available in the update catalog
Code:
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/28/16/071-89247-A_FL3O60MWEW/t9239srrs8ctufwxntefzkmvjhdqzvllb2/Safari14.1.2MojaveAuto.pkg

Reactions: PeterHolbrook
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.