Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which browser are you going to switch to?

• Microsoft Edge

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Brave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firefox

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Staying on Safari 13

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other browser (post in the thread)

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The day is here. Safari 14 is not available for High Sierra, marking its EOL with Apple only supporting Mojave and newer.

So which browser are you guys going to switch to? The browser imo has become the most important piece of software since it's the main vector for many attacks, so having a fully patched and secure browser is critical.

I personally putting my vote for Microsoft Edge. I've been using it on my Windows machine and Android phone as the primary browser, and I'm really liking it. Performance is great as well. What browser are you guys going to use?

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Firefox has been great for me since forever. I'll just simply stop using Safari (which I only use only occasionally anyway) if security becomes a concern.

Reactions: phillytim

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Interesting to see Firefox fans. I personally have not been using Firefox for a looong time. I wonder how it performs now compared to the modern webkit/chromium browsers.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Another Firefox fan here; sync, containers, Facebook container(!), dns-over-https, enhanced tracking protection, etc. - I have the unbeatable Firefox installed on everything!

Firefox is a much better choice for security than any of those closed-source, Chrome-based browsers, by far.

It's FREE - stop wondering, and go get it for comparison testing!

Last edited:

mslilyelise

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
Hey there, understand this is an old post, but nobody has figured out how to shoehorn Safari 14 onto High Sierra, have they? Safari runs significantly better on my MacBook than Chrome did, and Firefox I could definitely try out but it means switching all three devices to it (don't want to use different browsers on different platforms, want that cross-device sync function). Haven't tried Firefox in ages but would be willing to give it a go. Chrome has shown to be an absolute dog. An hour of video streaming on the MacBook makes about 18% of the battery when done in Safari (it's the original battery). Chrome consumes almost 40% to do the same work.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey there, understand this is an old post, but nobody has figured out how to shoehorn Safari 14 onto High Sierra, have they? Safari runs significantly better on my MacBook than Chrome did, and Firefox I could definitely try out but it means switching all three devices to it (don't want to use different browsers on different platforms, want that cross-device sync function). Haven't tried Firefox in ages but would be willing to give it a go. Chrome has shown to be an absolute dog. An hour of video streaming on the MacBook makes about 18% of the battery when done in Safari (it's the original battery). Chrome consumes almost 40% to do the same work.
There is no way to get Safari 14 running in High Sierra. I’d suggest trying Firefox.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
With the following Firefox extensions (all free), security & extensibility is surely even greater than what Safari 14 gives you:

1614602929500.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tekguy0

Elotloteo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2019
London
lol, I just found out today, only cuz my bank’s website kicked me out....
Well, I will keep using Safari whenever I can and for those 1% websites that require up-to-date browser I’m going to use Firefox.

I just have too much software that won’t work with latest MacOS, so browser inconvenience is still less headache than reinstalling everything and looking for alternatives that might not even exist.

I am also surprised to see that Microsoft's browser came back to Mac!

Re privacy and tracking.. I never head problems with Safari, up to the point that Google and other tracking pages keep sending me notification about ‘login from unknown device’ even tho I always use the same laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.