Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWB25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
TLDR: Safari crashes in Catalina (intel Mac) after Safari 15.2 update

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, mid-2012) running macOS 10.15.7 with a new SSD a couple of years ago. It was running perfectly until Safari was updated to 15.2; it could've been an earlier update to Safari that broke the browser for me in 2021, but I think it was the update to version 15.2. Whenever I would launch Safari it would freeze after a couple of seconds. I might be able to start loading a page if I click a bookmark, but otherwise, it would freeze and need to be forced to quit. I tried everything recommended by support documents and others online:
  • disabled extensions
  • cleared everything possible (settings, etc.)
  • deleted all bookmarks and data
  • tried opening in safe mode
  • etc. literally everything I could find to do
FINALLY, I did a factory reset of my Mac and didn't update to the newest version of Safari but did update to everything else and currently, Safari still works (doesn't crash) on version 13.1.3 in Catalina 10.15.7.

Has anyone been able to try Safari 15.4 and see if the crashing problem is resolved?
I did try 15.3 and the problem persisted. I wonder if it has anything to do with iCloud syncing to my other devices which are all running the current version of iOS and iPadOS (I know this is an old computer).

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Safari 15.4
Code:
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/25/34/002-83506-A_0FVTHWXTXJ/9ipp8rhxtcyzjg9pdxekzznprkx48ssbo1/Safari15.4CatalinaAuto.pkg

Reactions: JAWB25

JAWB25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
(can’t figure out how to delete this post)

Last edited:

JAWB25

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Safari 15.4
Code:
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/25/34/002-83506-A_0FVTHWXTXJ/9ipp8rhxtcyzjg9pdxekzznprkx48ssbo1/Safari15.4CatalinaAuto.pkg
TY for the reply. I've been avoiding installing that update in case it causes the crashes to re-occur; I have automatic updates turned off for Safari and other apps. I don't have a developer account but is that a confirmed working version?

The issue is that when the crashing begins with Safari it is hard to downgrade to a previous version without doing a factor reset on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.