Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
So my external SSD broke and I lost a few files I was hours away from backing up. One of those files was my Safari 7.1.8 installer (the last version for Mavericks before they jumped to 9.x and changed some visual elements). The direct download links from Apple's servers are dead, as with every version that has been superseded. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could obtain a copy of the installer package of this version for Mavericks. It seems any standalone Safari package is rather rare these days, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Safari 9 for Mavericks does not include the new look from Yosemite/El Capitan (except for the web inspector pane). It's a minor update with a newer version of Webkit and developer tools.

One good thing are the security updates and get rid of the "you are using an old browser, consider updating."

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Last edited:
Reactions: Avenged110

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thank you everyone, asoksevil's link worked.

Safari 9 for Mavericks does not include the new look from Yosemite/El Capitan (except for the web inspector pane). It's a minor update with a newer version of Webkit and developer tools.
That, and as of 9.1, the popup alert windows look pathetic. At minimum, I like having the choice of which version to use (and 7.0.6 - which installs with the 10.9.5 installer - is far more likely to experience a debilitating bug than 7.1+ on Mavericks.)
Crappy Safari 9.1 dialogue.png

That one appears to work as well. Nice.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks folks.

@Avenged110 remind me please: where 9.x offers Show All Tabs in the View menu, does 7.x have a more traditional approach (without the option to Show All Tabs)?

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
@Avenged110 remind me please: where 9.x offers Show All Tabs in the View menu, does 7.x have a more traditional approach (without the option to Show All Tabs)?
That option is still present and unchanged across all versions of Safari for 10.9 (7.0-9.1.1). However, unlike Safari on 10.10+, the "Show All Tabs" option in 10.9 just shows the side-scrolling tab view.

. Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 12.28.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 12.27.55 PM.png

Reactions: grahamperrin

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
That, and as of 9.1, the popup alert windows look pathetic.

That's a deliberate feature to (A) emphasize that the popup is a Javascript dialog from the page, and not an application dialog and (B) to prevent bad pages/ads from hijacking the browser by popping up an endless loop of dialogs.

Reactions: redheeler

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
That's a deliberate feature to (A) emphasize that the popup is a Javascript dialog from the page, and not an application dialog and (B) to prevent bad pages/ads from hijacking the browser by popping up an endless loop of dialogs.
I'm fine with both of those features from an engineering standpoint, but why does that mean it has to look like it's straight out of Yosemite? It matched the rest of OS X's stock UI since pretty much ever. So I'm curious, does it not match now for the same reason the web inspector doesn't match Mavericks' UI style? The reason for which is Apple is lazy.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I'm fine with both of those features from an engineering standpoint, but why does that mean it has to look like it's straight out of Yosemite? It matched the rest of OS X's stock UI since pretty much ever. So I'm curious, does it not match now for the same reason the web inspector doesn't match Mavericks' UI style? The reason for which is Apple is lazy.
Hi @Avenged110 if I can insert my 2 cents I installed Mavericks month and a half ago and thanks to this wonderful thread I updated Safari 7 to the 7.1.8. I also downloaded the latest version of Chrome for Mavericks (ver.65) to aid where Safari unfortunately fails. The time passes so quickly I still remember when Mavericks was a hit of the day. I averted installing Safari 9 exactly because of the flat WebInspector as well as reported issues with performance and extensions. Safari 7 in itself feels very solid, robust and fast even nowadays. For the better compatibility I switch over to High Sierra which is a boring looks.

Reactions: otetzone and R2FX

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi @Avenged110 if I can insert my 2 cents I installed Mavericks month and a half ago and thanks to this wonderful thread I updated Safari 7 to the 7.1.8. I also downloaded the latest version of Chrome for Mavericks (ver.65) to aid where Safari unfortunately fails. The time passes so quickly I still remember when Mavericks was a hit of the day. I averted installing Safari 9 exactly because of the flat WebInspector as well as reported issues with performance and extensions. Safari 7 in itself feels very solid, robust and fast even nowadays. For the better compatibility I switch over to High Sierra which is a boring looks.

Fun fact: you can actually use up to Chrome 67.0.3396.99 with OS X 10.9.5. Sadly, all of these (Safari 7/9 and Chrome 65/67) are getting pretty outdated, at least as far as compatibility goes.

Reactions: maverick28

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks @Avenged110 I'll definitely install 67. Also it seems we're both on the same board - I hate post-Mavericks/iOS6 design trend too. And of course I abhor the inability to install any extension I want in Safari 12 (as well as hundred other major and minor quirks of newer macOS'es).

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Diehard Mavericks user here - still continue using 10.9 on my laptop but for security reasons had to go Mojave too.
While I like Safari the most and grudgingly use Chrome as well, I noted that latest version of Firefox still supports Mavericks. In order to avoid unsupported browser notifications on many sites and get 1080hd playback on YouTube I can put up with the Fox.

It really is a shame that Apple’s programming proves disappeared and to get newer browser one has to upgrade whole OS. They don’t do this so harsh with iTunes and there’s no commercial benefit to justify it, just laziness and incompetence (plus maybe a fair amount of malevolence of the current UI folks towards old school Aqua UI fans)

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks @Avenged110 I'll definitely install 67. Also, it seems we're both on the same board - I hate post-Mavericks/iOS 6 design trend too. And of course, I abhor the inability to install any extension I want in Safari 12 (as well as hundred other major and minor quirks of newer macOS'es).
Glad to hear it! That alone would be enough to stop me from using Safari if I ever had to leave Mavericks.
Diehard Mavericks user here - still continue using 10.9 on my laptop, but for security reasons had to go Mojave, too.
While I like Safari the most and grudgingly use Chrome as well, I noted that latest version of Firefox still supports Mavericks. In order to avoid unsupported browser notifications on many sites and get 1080hd playback on YouTube, I can put up with the Fox.

It really is a shame that Apple’s programming proves disappeared and to get newer browser one has to upgrade whole OS. They don’t do this so harsh with iTunes and there’s no commercial benefit to justify it, just laziness and incompetence (plus maybe a fair amount of malevolence of the current UI folks towards old school Aqua UI fans)
Ugh, I hate Firefox. Such a trashy UI, looks like it was designed by a child. But I've always thought it was dumb for Apple not to distribute Safari (and possibly even most other OS X apps) via the App Store (what a concept!) just like they do with the "Technology Preview" today. But then there are a lot of things they do that I think a dumb haha.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
So, I don't know if I will be heard on this thread but after a long hesitation, grudgingly I installed Safari 9.1.3 update on Mavericks but feel like choosing the lesser of two evils, instead of feeling relieved. Prior to that I lived torn apart between performance of the OS as a whole and Safari 7's failures to load some content properly and by that I mean sites like Vimeo, Stackexchange, Stackoverflow, Flickr, Twitter, Reddit: it was just like sitting on 2 chairs and constantly feeling psychologic discomfort. Interesting that Safari 7.1.8 released in 2015 struggled while Safari 9.1.3 released after 13 months could load these sites, YouTube looks more up-to-date with Safari 9 and closer to what Chrome 67 and Waterfox output. I noticed such thing with Chrome 49 on Lion which is a 2016 release too. Projecting from this day back, 2016 is the bottom edge for the modern and more or less satisfying browsing experience. I now use other browsers less and for quick switching I bought "Browser Fairy" 2 months ago on MAS for use on older systems.

Yes, the new WebInspector is awful and was the main reason to hold out. I couldn't but curse all the time at it: why couldn't they just leave its UI alone, why?!! Damn! It's so ugly and messy, grey, dark, primitive..ugh:mad: At least extensions work as before.

P.S. Experimenting and out of curiosity I headed for Steam site I saw on your screenshot: Safari 9 loads only a textual version automatically. Just like Chrome 49 on Lion Safari 9 is able to pass authorization on Apple Support Communities but is incompatible with basic actions (posting, selecting topics etc.) despite the fact that it was released later than Chrome 49. Apple Developer Site rejects it completely ("unable to establish secure connection").

At least I updated Mavericks one step closer to the present day.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I think im using opera on my mt lion and snow leopard drives when i swap the ssds if i need to do something 2012, if this helps

Reactions: maverick28

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Same as other osx, just mountain lion did not show all of a website info like Flickr were the upload button was not visible. I think i watched a game during january running snow leopard on espn

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Crap, it looks like the latest Twitter site overhaul broke Safari 9. However, not surprising, because the W3C standards compatibility crown is held by Chrome and the most of sites are built in Chrome and with Chrome in mind. Consider this: 3 years old Chrome renders sites better than 2.5 years old Safari.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
I wonder how come that after I have Safari 7.1.8 installed the update page in app store wouldn't show an update to Safari 9?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
That's odd. I would see that update no matter what version of the app provided it's lower than the offered one. If you're planning to install Safari 9.1.3 then did you install it already in the past? MAS updates mechanism since Mavericks (or MtnLion) is a mess in that if you have installed once and then deleted the update info will still qualify it as already installed which is dumb. For ex., Software Update utility in Lion and earlier would automatically detect the version and offer updates regardless of how many times you've installed/reinstalled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.