Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
This has never before happened to me. After installing the new OS X update today, Safari started lagging so much, especially while scrolling, that it is literally unusable. I have disabled all the extensions to isolate the problem to Safari itself. I have made a video, hope my ordeal is clear from it:
I made a comparison with Firefox to make it clear that it's not because of the internet connection or any "external" factor. The computer sometimes even completely freezes for a couple of minutes when Safari is in the foreground, it happened right when I was about to write this post.
Des anyone have the same problem?

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I tried logging in as a Guest and it did not happen there. But after booting back into my account it was gone too. This is strange, as I had restarted the computer multiple times before. Well, who knows what is might have been, maybe some background indexing, I just hope it won't be coming back.
Thanks a lot!

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Mine just freezes when I click on the address bar for a couple of seconds since the update, I tried to log out and do the steps you tried but mine is still doing it on a 15 maxed out retina

ceezy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Yeah hopefully some indexing issue or something, mine is laggy as well now.
Beachballin'

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2015
I've had a horrible Safari experience since the 10.11 update, however, after today's update.... It's all smooth sailing for me so far.

biker4mac

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2001
South Central Pennsylvania
With Mavericks (10.9.5) and the Safari update (9.0.1) my memory usage slowly increases to the point where the whole machine grinds to a halt. I’ve tried reseting Safari, disabling extensions, and running through the usual routines of maintenance tasks with no luck. I’ve had to go to FireFox until I can determine what the issue is with Safari - or find a way to attempt to update it again.

johnnypowers

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
I'm encountering the same issue. I'm trying to give chance to safari over chrome but this is what i'm getting. Did we find a solution? Thanks for this post.

mgru

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
I'm having an issue with Safari 9.0.1 where it reloads tabs with versions of the page which were current when I shut down my Mac. After a restart, the pages are not refreshed, merely reloaded – and I have to do a manual refresh with every tab.

Never encountered this before. I tried emptying the cache. It didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Lorenzo92_

Lorenzo92_

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2015
I'm encountering the same issue. I'm trying to give chance to safari over chrome but this is what i'm getting. Did we find a solution? Thanks for this post.
I had the same issue. I'm trying to reboot my MacBook Pro 15' Retina Late 2013, but after 1-2 hours usage, the problem appears again, and seems that the whole system is affected. I'm with 10.11.1.
I have already do a clean install of El Capitan about 3 weeks ago.....

Reactions: johnnypowers

richsadams

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Same issue here on my Late 2013 27" iMac...however I'm still on Mavericks 10.10.5. Started with the latest Safari upgrade to v9.0.1 (10601.2.7.2).

New pages begin to load and then just hang. Beach ball appears when clicking on links, etc. Manually refreshing the page often fixes it, but not always.

Haven't had these sorts of Safari problems in years. Tried all of the known "repairs" including deactivating extensions, removing unneeded plugins and more, but to no avail. Using Firefox for now.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Same issue here on my Late 2013 27" iMac...however I'm still on Mavericks 10.10.5. Started with the latest Safari upgrade to v9.0.1 (10601.2.7.2).

New pages begin to load and then just hang. Beach ball appears when clicking on links, etc. Manually refreshing the page often fixes it, but not always.

Haven't had these sorts of Safari problems in years. Tried all of the known "repairs" including deactivating extensions, removing unneeded plugins and more, but to no avail. Using Firefox for now.

Yeah I am experiencing the same issue here with Safari 9.0.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.