Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IW1206MT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Since the release of the App Privacy Report, several forum users have noted that Safari is attempting to access Contacts. There is no explanation of why Safari would need this information, or what it is doing with the information accessed…..

Creating a separate thread to focus on this issue.

Observations:

Safari attempts to access contacts when:

-Navigating to duck duck go, google, bing, or a third party site that offers a ‘sign in with’ these services. Using the search bar in safari does not reliably trigger it… but navigating directly to the search site and entering a search does.

Once the page has written a cookie to the device (the user does not have to sign in…. Accessing www.google.com is enough….) subsequent visits do not generate another hit to contacts. I assume that eventually the cookie expires and the hit occurs again, though have not tested this.

If the site’s cookie is removed, the next visit will generate a hit to contacts. If all cookies are disabled in settings, every visit to the site will cause contacts to be accessed.

The following settings changes do not impact the behavior:

Safari—>Autofill On/Off

Siri—>Show when sharing On/Off (controls suggested contacts showing up in the share sheet)

Password autofill On/Off

User having an account with the search engine (or not) has no effect. (Safari hits contacts regardless)

Private browsing has no effect

Looking for suggestions on what info Safari needs from contacts/ observations from the community on the behavior. Essentially, is Safari providing any information to the search engines or other sites without express user permission?

arunmv11

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
I have the Same question. Privacy report shows that safari had accessed contacts. But in Settings > Privacy > Contacts safari is not even on the list.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Just discovered this issue and this thread on MR came up when I checked.

Safari and Photos access Contacts.

How do I turn that off?

Separate issue, perhaps, but lots of Google web addresses show up under domains most contacted, too. Yet, I don't use Google, but Duck, Duck, Go.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
BUMP!

It's now June and it's still going on! iOS 15.5.

As the OP found, this happens even when all those settings mentioned are OFF!

Apple's Safari should not be rummaging through my Contacts without my permission.

The App Privacy Report is a welcome addition, but gives the lie to Apple's much vaunted protection of privacy!

No app or web site should be able to rummage one's info or contact a third party domain.

I even tested this switching from The Washington Post and New York Times apps to their web pages and ended up with just as much detritus and unwarranted external domain contacting and advertising cookies. It's outrageous, especially for subscribers.

Google's ad services (various ones) and Google analytics are the most ubiquitous offenders.

Apple needs to shut this down and the tech press needs to do a better job of exposing it.

Reactions: bladerunner88

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Anything that you use autofill for in Safari accesses your contacts. No mystery. But it’s fun to imagine your phone is spying on you for the Russians or Chinese:)

Yusamac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2022
Anything that you use autofill for in Safari accesses your contacts. No mystery. But it’s fun to imagine your phone is spying on you for the Russians or Chinese:)
Bump. This answer is lacking. I tried turning off auto fill to fix this problem; it didn’t work. Bing is an example website that accesses your contacts every time you use it on safari even with auto fill off. Does anyone know how or why Bing is doing that? I’m not trying to say that anyone is spying on me; but it’s reasonable to assume that advertising websites (like search engines) are using the contacts app to automatically build a profile to serve better ads.
I really appreciate Apple’s efforts to show us exactly what information is coming and leaving our devices. If they didn’t put in that effort, people wouldn’t be able to keep there finger on this proverbial security pulse.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’m curious about this because under Privacy - Contacts - only Hiya, a spam call blocker, can access my Contacts. I’ve turned on the App Privacy Report again to see what gets shown there over the next day. Other than for auto fill using your contact info I haven’t seen any Safari connection to my Contacts.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I left the Privacy Report on all day, checked the 7 day record and there was no Safari access of my Contacts. So no issues here, only Mail and Messages were shown as accessing Contacts.

Yusamac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2022
I left the Privacy Report on all day, checked the 7 day record and there was no Safari access of my Contacts. So no issues here, only Mail and Messages were shown as accessing Contacts.
Oh wait, try turning ”private relay” on. That seems to affect it for me. Safari accesss contacts more with Private Relay on. I do not understand why.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I actually did turn that on for the first time a couple days ago, Safari has not accessed my Contacts. I thought it might have been because I turned that on.

Yusamac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2022
I actually did turn that on for the first time a couple days ago, Safari has not accessed my Contacts. I thought it might have been because I turned that on.
That”s interesting…. Go to bing.com and look something up (I typed “hello”) and check again. That has repeatably made safari access contacts for me

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Oh wait, try turning ”private relay” on. That seems to affect it for me. Safari accesss contacts more with Private Relay on. I do not understand why.
I have Private relay on and I’m seeing this issue on an iPhone running iOS 16. Safari has accessed my contacts every day of the past week; I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine (and Google occasionally).

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
That”s interesting…. Go to bing.com and look something up (I typed “hello”) and check again. That has repeatably made safari access contacts for me
Went to Bing.com, looked up Texas football. Then checked the Privacy report, nothing accessed my Contacts. Only Maps and a weather app accessed my location. So no Safari issue in this regard. Private Relay is still on.

Reactions: thedr1

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Cause Americans and europeans don’t spy right? They are the master of spying and privacy breach- welcome as a new candidate, Csam

thedr1

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
As noted in OP, autofill is not relevant. But it's fun to imagine you can steer the conversation.

thedr1

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
All access Contacts: Messages, App Store, Apple Store, TestFlight, Home, Maps, Phone, Camera, Photos, Health, Watch, Calendar, Reminders, Fitness, Safari, Find My.

Messages, Phone, Find My: OK, reasonable (Find My _apparently_ accesses Contacts under People -> + -> Share My Location, which lists all Contacts who have iCloud accounts--sidebar, this is the only built-in way I know to get a tidy list of your Contacts who have iCloud accounts!!).

That leaves unaccounted Contacts access by: App Store, Apple Store, TestFlight, Home, Maps, Camera, Photos, Health, Watch, Calendar, Reminders, Fitness, Safari. (possibly other built-ins I've uninstalled or somehow incidentally disabled Contacts from accessing; I've not attempted to test this)

Clearly, Apple isn't trying to hide anything; they gave us the App Privacy Report tool to know! The most likely scenario is: these apps access Contacts for reason varying between, "subtle yet reasonable", to, "incidental and are best cleaned up". It's up to us to demand the accountability to discern which is which!

Finally, this isn't a super important issue in and of itself, yet worthy of SOME attention from Apple for three (3) reasons: 1) de-noise "App Privacy Report" DATA & SENSOR ACCESS so it can do it's job; 2) take the wind from the sails of naysayers; 3) worth auditing for re-design of Contacts API and/or internal usage of it.

Last edited:

thedr1

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
All access Contacts: Messages, App Store, Apple Store, TestFlight, Home, Maps, Phone, Camera, Photos, Health, Watch, Calendar, Reminders, Fitness, Safari, Find My.

Messages, Phone, Find My: OK, reasonable (Find My _apparently_ accesses Contacts under People -> + -> Share My Location, which lists all Contacts who have iCloud accounts--sidebar, this is the only built-in way I know to get a tidy list of your Contacts who have iCloud accounts!!).

That leaves unaccounted Contacts access by: App Store, Apple Store, TestFlight, Home, Maps, Camera, Photos, Health, Watch, Calendar, Reminders, Fitness, Safari. (possibly other built-ins I've uninstalled or somehow incidentally disabled Contacts from accessing; I've not attempted to test this)

Clearly, Apple isn't trying to hide anything; they gave us the App Privacy Report tool to know! The most likely scenario is: these apps access Contacts for reason varying between, "subtle yet reasonable", to, "incidental and are best cleaned up". It's up to us to demand the accountability to discern which is which!

Finally, this isn't a super important issue in and of itself, yet worthy of SOME attention from Apple for three (3) reasons: 1) de-noise "App Privacy Report" DATA & SENSOR ACCESS so it can do it's job; 2) take the wind from the sails of naysayers; 3) worth auditing for re-design of Contacts API and/or internal usage of it.
while Locations works the way I would want it to,
Contacts, Microphone, Photos, and Media Library all alike have the same problem. Contacts is most noticeable, being used by many apps.

The main reason I want to see all of this cleaned up: de-noise "App Privacy Report". ((Network Activity is hard enough to make sense of, but there may not be any easy answers.)) I think this can be cleaned up on Apple's side.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.