Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckman212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
I rebuilt my Spotlight index the other day, and after it was rebuilt, I noticed Safari.app is no longer appearing when searching "Safari" in Spotlight.

The app is there in /Applications but I note that it's a symlink pointing to ../System/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app

Also strange, is mdls can't seem to "find" this app at all, even when directly targeting the Cryptexes version. I didn't know about Cryptexes, but after some research I now understand them (in the same sort of way that I understand Bitcoin or ChatGPT🤔)

Anyway...
Code:
$ mdls /Applications/Safari.app/
/Applications/Safari.app/: could not find /Applications/Safari.app/.
$ mdls /System/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app/
/System/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app/: could not find /System/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app/.

Can't find much about this, other than this thread over on the Apple forums. My M2 MacBook Air doesn't have this issue (same OS). But, I haven't rebuilt the spotlight index on that one... so maybe that's the difference? Anyone else?

update: this command fixed it for me, YMMV:
Code:
sudo mdutil -i on /System/Volumes/Preboot

Last edited:
Reactions: brendantwhite

luckman212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
update: I compared the output of
Code:
mdimport -t -d2 /System/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app
On the working vs. non-working Macs and it's identical (with the exception of :MD:DeviceId which is expected)

luckman212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Ok, it wasn't clear right away from your posts, but they were a good clue @bogdanw

This command fixed it for me:
Code:

Reactions: brendantwhite

brendantwhite

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2023
Australia
sudo mdutil -i on /System/Volumes/Preboot worked for me too - thanks.
Ok, it wasn't clear right away from your posts, but they were a good clue @bogdanw

This command fixed it for me:
Code:
Yep, I was having the same problem (Spotlight was finding everything EXCEPT Safari), and this command fixed it for me too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.