Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshuaMoraski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Schenectady, New York
Hello,
I was on safari (watching YouTube) and I mistakenly tapped the bottom ad! It sent me to a website where it auto-downloaded 7 files. They came right up in the downloads section of finder and in recents. I didn’t open them and in a panic quickly removed it all and emptied my bin. My question is would I have a virus and how can I check?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Whilst malware does exist, there's currently no known virus on the Mac at all. So you definitely do not have a virus.

In fact it's also so unlikely that any of what was downloaded auto-executed that I'm willing to say that when you deleted it, not a trace of what was downloaded remains on your Mac (well, download logs and whatnot, sure, but nothing that's actually data of the download).

Nothing you just download from the internet can just run without explicit permission anyway. - Especially not if it's unsigned.

Reactions: JoshuaMoraski

JoshuaMoraski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Schenectady, New York
Whilst malware does exist, there's currently no known virus on the Mac at all. So you definitely do not have a virus.

In fact it's also so unlikely that any of what was downloaded auto-executed that I'm willing to say that when you deleted it, not a trace of what was downloaded remains on your Mac (well, download logs and whatnot, sure, but nothing that's actually data of the download).

Nothing you just download from the internet can just run without explicit permission anyway. - Especially not if it's unsigned.

Thank you so much for your explaination! I was quite worried, but you definitely reassured me, I’m very relieved!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you so much for your explaination! I was quite worried, but you definitely reassured me, I’m very relieved!

No problem :). Malware certainly does exist for the Mac, but you're unlikely to encounter it if you don't seek it out.
If you turn off System Integrity Protection and run random executables as root, maybe, but not as anything remotely ressembling an average user.

The closest thing I've seen to malware on a 'regular' Mac, has been a browser plugin that set Yahoo as the search engine and set it back to Yahoo if you tried changing it. But aside from being more tricky to remove than it should've been it was fairly benign.

That is not to say you shouldn't worry about security risks; Just don't worry about vira and similar software attack vectors so much. Your biggest threats are convincing phishing scams and the like.

Linux and macOS are really quite secure platforms. No OS is impervious to attacks, but you're unlikely to be in much danger on the Mac. If you're in an environment, like a an office with a shared network drive or something, with a lot of Windows PCs, you might still want anti-virus to help protect those though. I can recommend Sophos for that.
However, even Windows is a lot more secure than it used to be. Windows 10 isn't so bad on that front if you keep it up to date. Keeping up to date goes for any software when it comes to security - That is, not necessarily the latest feature release, but the latest of a supported release.
And Windows is also just the biggest attack vector as per market share. So we in the Mac camp can enjoy a more secure computing experience along with our Linux and other BSD brethren.

Reactions: JoshuaMoraski
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.