Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Latest iOS on XS - but have been experiencing this for at least 3 months.

Anyone else’s Safari insta-defaulting to Reader View upon completed page loads? Every time I load a page, within 1-2 seconds (if not faster) the view automatically switches to Reader View. Kind of annoying. Enough so that I’m posting here.

Is that a setting I can toggle or a bug?
Because I’d prefer to not have this auto-happen.

Cheers.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Latest iOS on XS - but have been experiencing this for at least 3 months.

Anyone else’s Safari insta-defaulting to Reader View upon completed page loads? Every time I load a page, within 1-2 seconds (if not faster) the view automatically switches to Reader View. Kind of annoying. Enough so that I’m posting here.

Is that a setting I can toggle or a bug?
Because I’d prefer to not have this auto-happen.

Cheers.

There is a setting under preferences>websites where you can choose the reader to be on or off or per site, but I don't know if that's the problem for you.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
There is a setting under preferences>websites where you can choose the reader to be on or off or per site, but I don't know if that's the problem for you.
I don’t believe there is setting where you stated, but you can tap and hold on the reader button while in safari to toggle off auto-reader for all websites.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I don’t believe there is setting where you stated, but you can tap and hold on the reader button while in safari to toggle off auto-reader for all websites.

Thanks Chazzle!
I also was not seeing the recommendation Ruggy mentioned above. But your suggested tap & hold - which I didn’t know was an option - appears to have done the trick.

Yah learning!

Cheers.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks Chazzle!
I also was not seeing the recommendation Ruggy mentioned above. But your suggested tap & hold - which I didn’t know was an option - appears to have done the trick.

Yah learning!

Cheers.
Glad I could help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.