Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
I'm a Web Designer/Developer, and i'm just wondering about how developers are going to deal with this feature Apple is implementing in Safari. This is a big deal for websites that have giant background videos/video-centric sites.

Questions for those who have the beta:
- Is the option to disable/enable autoplaying videos in the browser preferences?
- I do not have the beta to test with, could someone send me a screenshot of a website with a large video? (for eg. http://mediaboom.com/#/home , https://artsandculture.withgoogle.com/en-us/) and how it appears when its stopped. Does a play button appear over the design or something?

Thanks!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Don't put any autoplay video, problem solved. The sole reason the blocking feature exists in adblockers and now safari is that it is unwanted and annoying as hell. It is flashing text, horn blasting and strobe blinking level stuff.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Yea that's understandable. Going forward new websites won't have them, but i'm wondering how current websites like the ones I linked appear in the new Safari for you?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Here is a screen shot of Safari Website preferences. I am guessing this the setting that blocks video?

Auto Play.png

Reactions: SRTM

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
A Senior Apple Tech told me that Safari 11 will not play gifs at this time. The tech says it will be corrected in an update, but Safari 11 will not play gif animations for the present, no matter what your settings in Safari Preferences.

Reactions: SRTM

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
A Senior Apple Tech told me that Safari 11 will not play gifs at this time. The tech says it will be corrected in an update, but Safari 11 will not play gif animations for the present, no matter what your settings in Safari Preferences.
Please ignore my post above. The lazy Apple Senior Tech didn't want to fool w me telling me that my issue was to be only fixed w future update. It took several days to figure out that installing Safari 11 changed settings in Safari Pref/Websites/Content Blockers and Auto-Play. Look in those two items for problems w playing videos in Safari 11.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Umm, that is not even close to being correct.

http://www.giphy.com

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
This is the second thread I've read through this morning where someone spoke to a supposed "Senior Tech" who turned out to be a complete dumb@$$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.