Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1981d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
I have a few questions about the Safari Bookmark Icons:
1. What do the different colors on the generic icons mean? Some websites have customized icons, but most are just a box with the safari logo in them. However, some are grey, some dark grey,(whoops, I mean space gray) some are red, some are blue. Why are they different colors, and do the colors have any significance?
2. On my iphone, the icons seem to play musical chairs, switching between bookmarks. For instance, several of my bookmarks for other websites currently display the mac rumors icon (but still direct to the correct website). Also, if I visit webpages that I do not have bookmarked, (like cnn or washington post), some of my current bookmarks will pick up the logo's to those sites for a while. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

adammgaines

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I have a few questions about the Safari Bookmark Icons:
1. What do the different colors on the generic icons mean? Some websites have customized icons, but most are just a box with the safari logo in them. However, some are grey, some dark grey,(whoops, I mean space gray) some are red, some are blue. Why are they different colors, and do the colors have any significance?

Thanks

Mine seem to take the color of the icon. Like gmail is blue, apple's discussion board is grey, etc.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
They just sample the page at the URL and pick the strongest colour. Like in iTunes.

The icons changing is definitely a bug.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
That's what *I* thought initially, too, but I've 2 icons which have CHANGED colour - and several whose colour isn't represented on the referring page.

For example: -

1. I've an icon which WAS apple green (page uses that and cornflower blue on a white background), but is now a kind of gunmetal grey. The page doesn't use any shade of grey

2. I've an icon which was indigo, but is now orange.

3. The icon for a website which has a colour scheme of gold, charcoal and white, is violet.

4. The icon for a page with a colour scheme of red and blue is deep aqua

5. The icon for a page with a colour scheme of black and white is sky blue

None of these sites have been rebookmarked on another page (in other words, all the icons still point to the page originally favourited).

The plot, as they say, thickens…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.