Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

Every time I try and access any websites in Safari (including offline reading list) on my iPad Pro 9.7" iOS 11 it gives an error message:

Safari cannot open the page.
The error was: "WebKit encountered an internal error".

IMG_4980.PNG

I have tried clearing all history and website data, hard rebooting multiple times and finally doing a full reset all settings but it is still broken! Please tell me there is something else to try before I resort to an erase and reinstall?

I need to get this fixed as soon as possible but I would also like to know why this is happening!?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I guess no one has experienced this before or has any idea why and whether there is a way to resolve it without doing a reinstall?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I guess no one has experienced this before or has any idea why and whether there is a way to resolve it without doing a reinstall?

Got a content blocker installed? Tried holding reload and reloading without content blocker, or even disabling it in settings?

Reactions: bmac89

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Got a content blocker installed? Tried holding reload and reloading without content blocker, or even disabling it in settings?

Thanks for your reply.

No content blocker installed. I tried reloading and holding reload and even trying to open offline reading list with wifi switched off but it always gave that error regardless of what I did.

In the end I did a restore from backup which ended up being quite a nightmare but now Safari is working again.

It would be nice to know what happened though and I really hope it never happens again!

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

No content blocker installed. I tried reloading and holding reload and even trying to open offline reading list with wifi switched off but it always gave that error regardless of what I did.

In the end I did a restore from backup which ended up being quite a nightmare but now Safari is working again.

It would be nice to know what happened though and I really hope it never happens again!

Ah that sucks. You’ve had a bad run with 11 this year! Glad it’s working.

Nees

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Hello,

Every time I try and access any websites in Safari (including offline reading list) on my iPad Pro 9.7" iOS 11 it gives an error message:

Safari cannot open the page.
The error was: "WebKit encountered an internal error".

View attachment 737583

I have tried clearing all history and website data, hard rebooting multiple times and finally doing a full reset all settings but it is still broken! Please tell me there is something else to try before I resort to an erase and reinstall?

I need to get this fixed as soon as possible but I would also like to know why this is happening!?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
[doublepost=1536920479][/doublepost]I had the "WebKit encountered an internal error" message.
I switched my ipad off and left it for a whole day (quite therapeutic!).
Next time I switched on, the problem had resolved itself.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
[doublepost=1536920479][/doublepost]I had the "WebKit encountered an internal error" message.
I switched my ipad off and left it for a whole day (quite therapeutic!).
Next time I switched on, the problem had resolved itself.

Thanks for your post. I’m glad it is working for you now.
I agree switching off the iPad can be quite therapeutic! :D

At the time, I switched my iPad off overnight but the problem was still there the next day. Thankfully the issue hasn’t occurred again since doing a reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.