Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2023
Hi,

I've seen the light, let's talk about the best WEB browser:

SAFARI.

In addition to being optimized for our Macbooks, it manages speed (the fastest engine in the world), playlists, ergonomics, favorites, and a window sorting system with categories.

It can also be customized as required.

I can't wait for the next Safari update, which, like GPT chat and soon Chrome, will integrate an AI system.

it's still in development I'm going to customize it further.

What do you think? And do you use it?:apple:

Attachments

• CleanShot 2023-06-09 at 16.33.19@2x.png
    CleanShot 2023-06-09 at 16.33.19@2x.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 312
  • CleanShot 2023-06-09 at 16.35.09@2x.png
    CleanShot 2023-06-09 at 16.35.09@2x.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 107
  • CleanShot 2023-06-09 at 16.36.18@2x.png
    CleanShot 2023-06-09 at 16.36.18@2x.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 109

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
I can't wait for the next Safari update, which, like GPT chat and soon Chrome, will integrate an AI system.
I'm not sure if "next" here means 2024, but just FYI the 2023 release of Safari in macOS Sonoma / iOS 17 does not include any built-in AI systems. You can however install a web app like ChatGPT as a native Mac app to make it easier to access.

eduardodfj

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2022
And you just can't do things like blocking Javascript on individual websites, which is a trivial function in other browsers.

Reactions: cadec

dmt43

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2023
And you just can't do things like blocking Javascript on individual websites, which is a trivial function in other browsers.
Hi New Macbook user, not new to Safari (been using it on IOS for years). I’m better-than-average-technical, but not as knowledgeable as I’d like to be, ergo my question ; ) Safari JavaScript is enabled. Is that a bad thing? I have set ’Prevent cross-site tracking’ and ‘Hide ip address’ + other security/privacy settings.

I want to comment that I had downloaded the “Duckduckgo” extension but just deleted it. Like many other extensions, it has permissions which allow access to all websites visited + passwords. I cannot get past giving any extension visibility to my passwords!!! : o I had uBlock origin and some others on my Windows laptop, which I had deleted. I like the privacy & protection they provide, but at what cost? How do we know that developer/provider will always be safe and secure? Anyway for now I’m going to stick with Safari and hope Apple keeps improving security/privacy.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Hi New Macbook user, not new to Safari (been using it on IOS for years). I’m better-than-average-technical, but not as knowledgeable as I’d like to be, ergo my question ; ) Safari JavaScript is enabled. Is that a bad thing? I have set ’Prevent cross-site tracking’ and ‘Hide ip address’ + other security/privacy settings.

I want to comment that I had downloaded the “Duckduckgo” extension but just deleted it. Like many other extensions, it has permissions which allow access to all websites visited + passwords. I cannot get past giving any extension visibility to my passwords!!! : o I had uBlock origin and some others on my Windows laptop, which I had deleted. I like the privacy & protection they provide, but at what cost? How do we know that developer/provider will always be safe and secure? Anyway for now I’m going to stick with Safari and hope Apple keeps improving security/privacy.
Brave is probably the best set and forget browser for privacy on both Macs and iOS. Javascript should be blocked on any site you do not fully trust. Ublock Origin will block some javascript elements mainly the bad ones. Highly recommend adding the https://oisd.nl/ big blocklist to it or any other blocking solution you choose. www.nextdns.io might be up your alley as well if you want to block at the DNS level.

Reactions: haddy and phillytim

dmt43

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2023
Brave is probably the best set and forget browser for privacy on both Macs and iOS. Javascript should be blocked on any site you do not fully trust. Ublock Origin will block some javascript elements mainly the bad ones. Highly recommend adding the https://oisd.nl/ big blocklist to it or any other blocking solution you choose. www.nextdns.io might be up your alley as well if you want to block at the DNS level.
thanks

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Good one OP. 11/10.

Imagine Vivaldi devs reading about praising this level of "customisation".

greyeyezz

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2017
Decided to give Vivaldi another try and wow I'm impressed. It makes Safari look like that old Netscape navigator.

Reactions: JaneN

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Brave always appears to take up significantly less memory resources for me, when I compare it to having Safari open with the exact same sites.

Perhaps it is because I can have the Ublock Origin anti-ad/tracking/malware extension installed on my Brave, whereas the best I can do for Safari is add DuckDuckGo Privacy. And I really want to embrace Safari.

My beloved Firefox is now only for special use cases on my Mac, as it always appears to be the most bloated memory-hog - even with the same Ublock Origin filters as my Brave. Very sad that I had to give Firefox up as my daily driver.

EDIT: Screw it, I returned to Firefox; it seems most of the memory bloat comes from having web email opened - which appears to be a standard pig across any browser. Firefox has the best extensions anyways - especially the containers.

Last edited:

dmt43

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2023
Ya know, it’s always something!! Mozilla, Brave, Tor, Vivaldi, Chrome!?? : d No matter what we do, they all have their issues, IMHO. What’s the best? Most protective off my privacy? Do they care? I highly doubt it. You can’t believe what companies say, we have to do some research to try to determine which one has the least ‘issues’. And then stay on top of it bc things change! It’s a little tiring. I am sticking with Safari and the Lockdown app (as per recommendation from another forum) for now.

Reactions: phillytim

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I always recommend Orion. It's like if Brave and Safari smashed together and all the crypto nonsense fell out. Great product with a great team behind it.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I always recommend Orion. It's like if Brave and Safari smashed together and all the crypto nonsense fell out. Great product with a great team behind it.
If it's "a zero telemetry browser" and updates are disabled, why is it trying to connect to browser.kagi.com at startup?
(Search engine – none, homepage – about:blank, no bookmarks)

Orion.jpg

Reactions: nvmls and 3166792

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I think it's a very good question to ask at orionfeedback.org

They are generally very receptive to feedback and questions in my experience. I will send you a PM for more details and will ask exactly that.

Last edited:

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
If it's "a zero telemetry browser" and updates are disabled, why is it trying to connect to browser.kagi.com at startup?
(Search engine – none, homepage – about:blank, no bookmarks)

View attachment 2247561

sorry for the uneducated question, but is it possible to build blacklists (or whitelists) with a certain amount of domains / IPs, etc. per app?

and this is Lulu, right?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Orion Version 0.99.125-beta (WebKit 616.1.22) Build date Jul 31 2023 (macOS Monterey 12.6.8 build 21G725)

sorry for the uneducated question, but is it possible to build blacklists (or whitelists) with a certain amount of domains / IPs, etc. per app? and this is Lulu, right?
Yes. No, it's Little Snitch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I only use Safari, on my iPhone, for my MBP its Chrome, as is the case with my PC. Safari isn't cross platform, so that in of itself is a show stopper. As I move to a more privacy minded computing model, I'll be transitioning over to Brave. I've used that and seems to be pretty decent.

Reactions: Sweet_Caroline

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth
I only use Safari, on my iPhone, for my MBP its Chrome, as is the case with my PC. Safari isn't cross platform, so that in of itself is a show stopper. As I move to a more privacy minded computing model, I'll be transitioning over to Brave. I've used that and seems to be pretty decent.
I’ve been using Brave for a few weeks and it’s decent. I like the feel of it better than Safari or Chrome.

Reactions: phillytim

eduardodfj

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2022
Firefox with a couple of extensions is as good as Brave. And you can choose which extensions you want to use to block the bad stuff. It used to be slower than its main competitors but today, I find it really fast.

Reactions: Idgit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.