Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
Whenever I create an account I'm greeted with the ever-annoying "Safari created a strong password for this website" prompt.

I prefer NOT to use Safari's suggestions and would rather never see this prompt again.

How can it be disabled? I checked Safari preferences and System Preferences, but no luck.

29lh4co.jpg

Thank you.

Reactions: Basic75

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Whenever I create an account I'm greeted with the ever-annoying "Safari created a strong password for this website" prompt.

I prefer NOT to use Safari's suggestions and would rather never see this prompt again.

How can it be disabled? I checked Safari preferences and System Preferences, but no luck.

29lh4co.jpg

Thank you.
Disable autofill.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Do you really create new accounts that often for it to be such an infuriating issue?
If only it were so simple ;) The issue is that Safari seems to consider the login window on many websites a registration form and prompts me to use a safe password to register when really all I want is to to log in. What's infuriating is the fact that this dialog/prompt is modal and I have to first manually click it away before I can proceed to log in instead.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
If only it were so simple ;) The issue is that Safari seems to consider the login window on many websites a registration form and prompts me to use a safe password to register when really all I want is to to log in. What's infuriating is the fact that this dialog/prompt is modal and I have to first manually click it away before I can proceed to log in instead.

Yup. I have the same issue when I try to log remotely into my office-it thinks the security code/password setup is a prompt to set up a new password and offers to create a strong one for me every time.

It's not a huge deal, but I would love a "not for this website" option...that's all it would take!

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Old thread, but I thought I'd comment. I never see this. I assume it's because iCloud Keychain is disabled. Trust information like that to Apple? Not hardly.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
True.

Counter-point though... nobody uses unique passwords on every login. And EVERYTHING needs an account now.

So these kinds of things are nearly required now.

Davestevebob

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2021
here just to make this more annoying, why they do it. Its to make you totally dependent on Apple. Thats the full reason to hell with what you want, you will be forced to need them. I hate how maggoty apple is becoming. and why in the flying F can't they fix the god damn "." Deleting the last letter of the last word in a sentence. And its not like the internet can give an answer for anything anyway, its where all the maggotayness in tech came from. this is a Mac forum and the keyboard still Fs up. Pathetic

Wordwise

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008

29lh4co.jpg

Thank you.
FWIW, whenever you get the prompt for a strong password and don't want to use that, simply click 'Don't use'. Then, enter your preferred password, and Safari will remember *that* one instead and log you in during subsequent times. You can also 'see' the passwords in the Safari Preferences for passwords...

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
FWIW, whenever you get the prompt for a strong password and don't want to use that, simply click 'Don't use'. Then, enter your preferred password, and Safari will remember *that* one instead and log you in during subsequent times. You can also 'see' the passwords in the Safari Preferences for passwords...
Doesn't fix the websites where the detection is broken and it suggests a new password every time you are just trying to log in.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
here just to make this more annoying, why they do it. Its to make you totally dependent on Apple. Thats the full reason to hell with what you want, you will be forced to need them. I hate how maggoty apple is becoming. and why in the flying F can't they fix the god damn "." Deleting the last letter of the last word in a sentence. And its not like the internet can give an answer for anything anyway, its where all the maggotayness in tech came from. this is a Mac forum and the keyboard still Fs up. Pathetic
I don't mind staying in the eco system, it's the 'our way or the highway' aspect that will drive power users etc. nuts. IMO.

williamkey123

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2022
Do you really create new accounts that often for it to be such an infuriating issue?
I write and test software. So yes, I create dozens of test accounts every day.

So annoying that there is no way to turn this off. And the "don't use" option is now buried one level deeper, so it takes two clicks to click it now rather than one.

Reactions: Q5jgP22Ym0EC

BsdGuru

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Man, do we miss Steve Jobs. He would never allow this nonsense. Imagine a world where passwords are so complex that we have to write them down and keep them in our wallet. How is that for "security"; Imagine your bankcard password written on the back of the card so you can remember it to get cash.

KassyKat

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Home
Five years later and this annoying, useless feature still has not been fixed. Like @williamkey123, I work on software and create and kill a dozens accounts a day. If I have to go through this BS every time I'm working on software, I'm going to make my Linux box my main system and Apple can go fry an egg.

williamkey123

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2022
Five years later and this annoying, useless feature still has not been fixed. Like @williamkey123, I work on software and create and kill a dozens accounts a day. If I have to go through this BS every time I'm working on software, I'm going to make my Linux box my main system and Apple can go fry an egg.
I don’t agree it’s useless, this is the preferable behavior for 99% of users. Just annoying there’s no way to disable it for the other 1% that frequently don’t need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.