Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
So for the past 6 months or so this issue has been happening. Latest Sierra on late 2012 iMac. When using Safari in a rather normal manner or for work i will have many tabs open. The issue can happen with anywhere from 6 or more tabs open. If Safari sits, meaning i dont refresh a page or anything and then i go to refresh a page or open a new tab Safari makes the system freeze/lag/skip for a split second. My mouse will skip. If a video is playing on VLC, Quicktime, Youtube they will also freeze for a split second. I have cleared Safari. I have tried removing pinned sites. Enabling/disabling app nap. Safari is the only browser that causes this issue.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
So for the past 6 months or so this issue has been happening. Latest Sierra on late 2012 iMac. When using Safari in a rather normal manner or for work i will have many tabs open. The issue can happen with anywhere from 6 or more tabs open. If Safari sits, meaning i dont refresh a page or anything and then i go to refresh a page or open a new tab Safari makes the system freeze/lag/skip for a split second. My mouse will skip. If a video is playing on VLC, Quicktime, Youtube they will also freeze for a split second. I have cleared Safari. I have tried removing pinned sites. Enabling/disabling app nap. Safari is the only browser that causes this issue.

Does it happen in safe mode?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Never tried that but tested it and it does not seem to happen in Safe Mode. So im guessing an extension or appi have installed is causing it?...

Next try a new user account. That might give you an indication if the issue is at the system level or just your user account.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Next try a new user account. That might give you an indication if the issue is at the system level or just your user account.

tried it and it didnt happen at all. Not only that, but Safari was noticeably faster

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Then it is your user account. At least that narrows it down. The next thing you could try is delete all your webdata and cookies. Also try running Etrcheck: https://etrecheck.com/ to see if it identifies anything for you.

i used that app and. it pointed out 2 or 3 things that is found that may have been malicious. i removed then. then i discovered a few other folders and files that it didnt point out and i removed those. mostly very old adobe files and what not. some older extensions. and it hasnt hung up for the past several house. I'll give it a day or two but in the mean time i want to thank you VERY much. im by no means a newbie on osx. but deep level files i have really never messed with. I also havent dont a complete "clean install" of osx since snow leopard. so that may speak against me lol

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
i used that app and. it pointed out 2 or 3 things that is found that may have been malicious. i removed then. then i discovered a few other folders and files that it didnt point out and i removed those. mostly very old adobe files and what not. some older extensions. and it hasnt hung up for the past several house. I'll give it a day or two but in the mean time i want to thank you VERY much. im by no means a newbie on osx. but deep level files i have really never messed with. I also havent dont a complete "clean install" of osx since snow leopard. so that may speak against me lol

Great that the issue appears to be resolved. Glad I could help.

Reactions: KingOfStuff

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Great that the issue appears to be resolved. Glad I could help.

After a bit of internets and being on reddit i discovered the actual cause is RES for safari. I tested it with the extension on and off and when it's on it all happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.