Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hi

At work I use my rMBP 15" running OS X El Capitan (Different iCloud account) and at home I use my MBP 13" Running OS X Yosemite

Is possible to backup my Safari cookies from the rMBP 15 inch and restore them to MBP 13 inch?
If yes where is the Safari cookies location? Which files I have to backup? How do I restore them?

Thanks
Camelia

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nope... not gonna work.

The file you want is Cookies.binarycookies in the folder ~/Library/Cookies (~ is your user folder). But the format of the file changed between Yosemite and El Capitan so you won't be able to move it back and forth. If you had them both on El Capitan you could move the file back and forth though, with one catch... after you move the file you need to restart the nsurlstoraged process for the change to take. You would do that with the command below in Terminal.

Code:
killall -KILL nsurlstoraged

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Nope... not gonna work.

The file you want is Cookies.binarycookies in the folder ~/Library/Cookies (~ is your user folder). But the format of the file changed between Yosemite and El Capitan so you won't be able to move it back and forth. If you had them both on El Capitan you could move the file back and forth though, with one catch... after you move the file you need to restart the nsurlstoraged process for the change to take. You would do that with the command below in Terminal.

Code:
killall -KILL nsurlstoraged

Oh my! Then my only option is make a backup and make a bootable USB stick in order to have an OS X El capitan clean install, it will be a lot of work :( but I really need to be able to move my cookies back and forth, then I will have them both on El Capitan. :cool:

So if I am going to do this task then I will also want to know how to backup my entire Safari (Bookmarks, configurations, in a few words everything that I can backup) o_O

The problem is I don't know what exactly I am available to backup from Safari also I don't know the locations and finally I dont know if the command provided will work or I have to use more flags for the change to take after restart. :oops:

Any help is more than welcome

Thanks
Camelia

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Oh my! Then my only option is make a backup and make a bootable USB stick in order to have an OS X El capitan clean install, it will be a lot of work :( but I really need to be able to move my cookies back and forth, then I will have them both on El Capitan. :cool:

So if I am going to do this task then I will also want to know how to backup my entire Safari (Bookmarks, configurations, in a few words everything that I can backup) o_O

I'm not following why you would need a USB stick or a clean install? Just update the home 13" to El Capitan and you are done. Then you can move that Cookies.binarycookies back and forth. Copy the file to a USB stick or even email it to yourself then copy it onto the second machine in that folder. Then start Terminal and run the command I gave you exactly like I have it and you will be all set.

Bookmarks is easier. Just export bookmarks from this menu in Safari then import on the second machine from import from HTML in that same menu.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 4.37.26 PM.png

Reactions: camelia

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Can’t you just use the same iCloud account and sync your passwords and bookmarks? If it are the passwords you need, you can also invest in a password manager. Moving cookies around is not really sound anyway.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
I'm not following why you would need a USB stick or a clean install? Just update the home 13" to El Capitan and you are done. Then you can move that Cookies.binarycookies back and forth. Copy the file to a USB stick or even email it to yourself then copy it onto the second machine in that folder. Then start Terminal and run the command I gave you exactly like I have it and you will be all set.

Bookmarks is easier. Just export bookmarks from this menu in Safari then import on the second machine from import from HTML in that same menu.

View attachment 611330

> I'm not following why you would need a USB stick or a clean install?
When I updated from Mavericks to Yosemite that way was a nightmare, a disaster, lesson learned, I prefer a clean install

Thanks about the bookmark help, it seems to be an easy task :) I will start today at night :cool:

Camelia
[doublepost=1453167993][/doublepost]
Can’t you just use the same iCloud account and sync your passwords and bookmarks? If it are the passwords you need, you can also invest in a password manager. Moving cookies around is not really sound anyway.

Nop, nevagitive, nada - I can't use the same iCloud account even I own both laptops
At work we use Final Cut and other apps that I did not buy, I know the email but not the password. :(

>you can also invest in a password manager

I know that there is free password manager out there but I want to buy 1Password app, but we are having the worst depreciation of the mexican peso against the dollar, I can't afford to buy it in these days :mad:
(Around $18.50 mexican peso per dollar)

>Moving cookies around is not really sound anyway
I don't have more options do I? o_O

Thanks for any help you can provide me
Camelia

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Nop, nevagitive, nada - I can't use the same iCloud account even I own both laptops
At work we use Final Cut and other apps that I did not buy, I know the email but not the password. :(

I am not sure what your iCloud account has to do with your applications. You mean, you do this because you don’t know your password?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
At work we use Final Cut and other apps that I did not buy, I know the email but not the password.

I think you are confusing a Mac App Store account AppleID that was used to purchase apps like FCP, and an iCloud account... which is separate. If you open System Preferences and look in the iCloud pane, is there an account listed there on either machine? You can add/make an iCloud account there and that will not impact apps purchased through the Mac App Store with the company AppleID.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I think you are confusing a Mac App Store account AppleID that was used to purchase apps like FCP, and an iCloud account... which is separate. If you open System Preferences and look in the iCloud pane, is there an account listed there on either machine? You can add/make an iCloud account there and that will not impact apps purchased through the Mac App Store with the company AppleID.

Not to mention, if you need to retrieve that password, you can just reset your account password as long as you have access to the email address or look for it in Keychain Access.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City

The apps belongs to the company, I did not purchase these apps.

If I attempt to retrieve the password and the IT department or the owners of the company finds out I changed it, I could be fired. :mad:

I asked the IT department a few hours ago, if I can add/make an iCloud account here at work in order to not impact the apps purchased through the Mac App Store with the company Apple ID. And they told me that I have to wait for an approval, in short and in the way I understood this request from the IT department, it means for me a big no, well this is the policy of this company I work for... :rolleyes:

(The IT department does not allow us to install apps like Facebook, Skype and others, another of their policies)

So, I will edit the title of this title of this thread as resolved and I will try / test the post #2 and #4 by Weaselboy of this thread, if have any problem I will open another.

And I will try to find a job in other company :p

Thank you very much for your help
Camelia

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.