Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
what dark mode extension do you guys use ? i've tried several of them and the only one that doesnt affect the performance very badly (and energy consumption to an extent) was turn off the lights...unfortunately it doesnt loook so good
so , interesting discoveries, i've tested chrome and safari with speedometer 2.1 (the benchmark at which webkit excels , made by apple for apple , though google also partnered with them )

and chrome is faster , whilst also consuming way less battery ( at least with dark mode )

here are the extensions i used for context, safari only has table of contents' extension, chrome has about 10 extensions running

same results on Ipad for dark mode extensions (though chrome on ipad is webkit too, hence doesnt make much of a difference)

i tried NOIR and dark night , here are the resulsts in order : chrome/ safari without dark mode/ safari with dark night / safari with NOIR

sidenote, I'm surprised to see chrome being faster than safari, especially on speedometer. either safari has gone downwhill , or chrome been catching up . chrome also consumes less ram now ;
i've ran a few tests and safari almost always end up consuming more RAM than chrome

which makes me wonder, does chrome truly eat so much ram , or did it get very efficient?

or maybe that "safari is way less ram hungry" is a pure lie ?

the websites used in this very tests were ; macrumors,youtube,reddit, amazon,deepl,github

all logged in

nkn4xaqgxg1b1.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.