Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kende.tamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
Dear Macrumors community,

you are my only hope.

Several ad-filtering extensions installed through the Mac App Store are not working in Sarafi 14.0.2 under Bis Sur 11.1.

The issue is not persistent in other user accounts on my macbook.

I did chat to apple support for hours, eventually I was told to make a new user account and migrate my files to the new one, as no fix for the issue was found. This is a step I would like to avoid as its a hassle.

Steps I have done:

- reinstalling the Safari extensions
- reinstalling mac OS from recovery
- disabling all login items of the user account
- virus and malware check with: Malwarebytes, Avast Antivirus, Norton Internet Security (some of them were run in safe mode as well)
- deleting several system files in folders like Library/LaunchDaemons and Library/StartupItems etc with the help of Apple support
- resetting NVRAM and SMB
- boot into safe mode: the issue is persistent in safe mode

I have the impression that my account got infected by a malware. However, running the antivirus softwares did not help.

Anyone has any recommendations on how to proceed?

Extensions I have tried: AdBlock for Safari, Adblock Plus for Safari ABP, AdGuard for Safari, 1Blocker for Safari

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 20.21.10.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 20.21.10.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 20.26.21.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 20.26.21.png
    290 KB · Views: 115

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Too many cooks they say spoil the soup ??

I would never put Norton on a systemi use just AdGuard Pro and it's fine

Define or describe what, you are seeing ads?
What has been downloaded? Installed it not.

A. You have backup not touched in weeks
B. Go with a clean install
C. What you want to avoid is what you need. Often quicker to just bite the bullet and cut out the quick fix that is rarely quick or a fix.

kende.tamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
Yes, I see ads despite the anti ad safari extensions.

Are there any benefits of a clean install of the os and restoring from a time machine backup over reinstalling mac OS from recovery? Anyways, its probably worth a try.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Just try, then buy AdGuard Pro. Or o
Yes, I see ads despite the anti ad safari extensions.

Are there any benefits of a clean install of the os and restoring from a time machine backup over reinstalling mac OS from recovery? Anyways, its probably worth a try.
There are a couple reputable programs that work to block ads. You need more than just the extension. Why i mention AdGuard Pro. Free trial. Unless you did get infected I guess.

kende.tamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
There are a couple reputable programs that work to block ads. You need more than just the extension. Why i mention AdGuard Pro. Free trial. Unless you did get infected I guess.
I see. I tried AdGuard, the free version, the Pro version brings only a couple of more settings, but I am afraid that if the free version failed to work, the pro wont do much more.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
You open any of these Safari extensions and then in the Safari Preferences they are also active with a check?

You've done far too much for just this issue. Resetting the SMC and NVRAM would be a good thing if SystemIntegrityProtection(SIP) was off and that something somehow got in, however in this scenario Safari extensions would work even with SIP off.

Could you show us Safari's Preferences / Extensions page

I've attached my own for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 10.10.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 10.10.09.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 96

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I see. I tried AdGuard, the free version, the Pro version brings only a couple of more settings, but I am afraid that if the free version failed to work, the pro wont do much more.
You buy Pro because it does have more filtering and at DNS level.

kende.tamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
You open any of these Safari extensions and then in the Safari Preferences they are also active with a check?

You've done far too much for just this issue. Resetting the SMC and NVRAM would be a good thing if SystemIntegrityProtection(SIP) was off and that something somehow got in, however in this scenario Safari extensions would work even with SIP off.

Could you show us Safari's Preferences / Extensions page

I've attached my own for reference.
So the extension is installed, enabled and is running, but it has no effect/it does not work. The same extension with the same settings in the same safari browser works in an other account on my laptop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 17.37.19.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 17.37.19.png
    309.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 17.37.43.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 17.37.43.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
May be it is just me but when I use NordVPN on Safari as of late I have been getting some sort of malware or something that wants me to download Adobe Flash

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"as of late I have been getting some sort of malware or something that wants me to download Adobe Flash"

Any "invitation" to download Flash now is bogus and should be ignored.

I'd suggest you download Malwarebytes and run it.
It's FREE to download and use forever that way -- you DO NOT need to buy a subscription.

Reactions: satcomer

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
About those ad blocking extensions in Safari... It seems the latest Safari 14 is blocking most of the trackers and even some ads on its own now (read Intelligent Tracking Prevention). Example: Safari 14 does block ads on YouTube on its own (not 100% of the time, but still). In any case, there seem to be some interference between Safari's native tracking prevention and 3rd party ad blocking solutions.
In any case #2, in the end I'd suggest switching to a more sophisticated browser like Opera or Brave with their built-in ad blocking and VPNs.

kende.tamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
About those ad blocking extensions in Safari... It seems the latest Safari 14 is blocking most of the trackers and even some ads on its own now (read Intelligent Tracking Prevention). Example: Safari 14 does block ads on YouTube on its own (not 100% of the time, but still). In any case, there seem to be some interference between Safari's native tracking prevention and 3rd party ad blocking solutions.
In any case #2, in the end I'd suggest switching to a more sophisticated browser like Opera or Brave with their built-in ad blocking and VPNs.
Thank you, but I need the iCloud integration.

kende.tamas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
I downloaded Safari Technology Preview (14.2) and the extensions work well in this version. I am wondering how I could reinstall or heal the "original" Safari (14.0.3). Reinstalling macOS from recovery did not help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.