Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoeloe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Hi,
Recently (some weeks ago) I noticed that FB said that when using Catalina and tapping the Chat icon top richt on the web page,.. it said that:
"You may need to update your browser
End-to-end encrypted chats won't appear in this browser. Try updating your browser or use another one."

https://www.facebook.com/help/597429858389632/

Ok,.... but now,... (somewhere around +- May 13th ?) the chat pop-up inside the open FB webpage keeps "loading" when you try to start a chat with a person one-on-one.

It seems that the chat panel is not loading... does that mean, that whenever you engaged a non encrypted end-to-end chat previously with a person the chat panel doesn't load now in Safari ?

But, it works fine on Firefox.

Has Catalina Safari a defunct TLS version or what is happening here ?

Am I the only one ?

TIA

Last edited:

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
Hi,
Recently (some weeks ago) I noticed that FB said that when using Catalina and tapping the Chat icon top richt on the web page,.. it said that:
"You may need to update your browser
End-to-end encrypted chats won't appear in this browser. Try updating your browser or use another one."

https://www.facebook.com/help/597429858389632/

Ok,.... but now,... (somewhere around +- May 13th ?) the chat pop-up inside the open FB webpage keeps "loading" when you try to start a chat with a person one-on-one.

It seems that the chat panel is not loading... does that mean, that whenever you engaged a non encrypted end-to-end chat previously with a person the chat panel doesn't load now in Safari ?

But, it works fine on Firefox.

Has Catalina Safari a defunct TLS version or what is happening here ?

Am I the only one ?

TIA

Safari is not a supported browser for end to end encryption on facebook.com. You need to log in through messenger.com. If you're already logged into Facebook it should take you directly to chat.

Use a browser that supports end-to-end encryption on Messenger and Facebook

1713331930091.png

zoeloe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Thanks for explaining.
messenger.com needs that you open the App on your smartphone to continue.
I don't have a smartphone. Thanks FB. :(

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Messenger is available as an app on the Mac App Store! Hope that solves it.

zoeloe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Messenger is available as an app on the Mac App Store! Hope that solves it.

Great advise,... but,... been there and tried that... Messenger App on macOS requires also (local laws DMA ?) me to open it on a smart phone.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 12.58.27.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.