Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 10.55.52 AM.png I am using a matchbook pro 2012 running Mojave OS, in my favorites screen in safari can I change the icon (pic?) appearance on linked webpages etc. It's kind of a pain to have to read description all the time, I know it's kind of lazy but I keep a totally clean desktop and have all my shortcuts etc to non applications in safari favorites, there are a lot of sites that won't allow me to download app due to my system so I have to access through safari.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
View attachment 2104475 I am using a matchbook pro 2012 running Mojave OS, in my favorites screen in safari can I change the icon (pic?) appearance on linked webpages etc. It's kind of a pain to have to read description all the time, I know it's kind of lazy but I keep a totally clean desktop and have all my shortcuts etc to non applications in safari favorites, there are a lot of sites that won't allow me to download app due to my system so I have to access through safari.

I'm pretty sure those icons are based on the website's "favicon" and can't be changed by you. But I'm confused looking at your screenshot and doing some looking at my own Safari favorites page. YouTube certainly has a favicon and it shows up for me if I add a bookmark for YouTube, so I have no idea why it's not showing up for you. Same goes for a lot of others you have there with no favicon displayed. Additionally, I know for a fact that my own website has a favicon, and it displays just fine in FireFox or Chrome, but doesn't display in Safari.

Odd. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
I'm pretty sure those icons are based on the website's "favicon" and can't be changed by you. But I'm confused looking at your screenshot and doing some looking at my own Safari favorites page. YouTube certainly has a favicon and it shows up for me if I add a bookmark for YouTube, so I have no idea why it's not showing up for you. Same goes for a lot of others you have there with no favicon displayed. Additionally, I know for a fact that my own website has a favicon, and it displays just fine in FireFox or Chrome, but doesn't display in Safari.

Odd. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
I can"t download the youtube app. says my system is incompatible, so I access from web browser, (safari). So that is actually a link to web page verses to app. as are all the generic icons. I have seen how to do in one of the vedios I watched, I am new to Mac (and suffer from CRS syndrome). It's one of the items on my customizing list.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I can"t download the youtube app. says my system is incompatible, so I access from web browser, (safari). So that is actually a link to web page verses to app. as are all the generic icons. I have seen how to do in one of the vedios I watched, I am new to Mac (and suffer from CRS syndrome). It's one of the items on my customizing list.

I wasn't talking about the YouTube app. I'm talking about exactly what you're talking about: a bookmark in Safari (on macOS) to YouTube.com. It shows the favicon for me:

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 11.34.37 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.