Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyjoeda

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Vancouver
Iv been trying to use safari to access my website via ftp. I type in ftp.mysite.com and it comes up with a username and password forum, but when I log in I can't transfer files. What can do ??

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I don't believe ftp is supported in safari, but last time I tried it I received the login dialog and after it was accepted, there was a new disk drive on my desktop. I think I was able to put files but not get files through the finder.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Doozy said:
I don't believe ftp is supported in safari, but last time I tried it I received the login dialog and after it was accepted, there was a new disk drive on my desktop. I think I was able to put files but not get files through the finder.

FTP IS supported in Safari, kinda. What it does is mounts its to your desktop just like a shared folder or network connection. It's pretty spiffy. Might want to make sure if you are passive FTP or not. That may make a diff on your server.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
ChicoWeb said:
FTP IS supported in Safari, kinda. What it does is mounts its to your desktop just like a shared folder or network connection. It's pretty spiffy. Might want to make sure if you are passive FTP or not. That may make a diff on your server.
That's a big kinda. All it does is call on the FTP built into Finder. Personally, I ftp via the terminal.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I use Transmit. It's quite possibly the best client I've ever used (even better than CuteFTP). Also has a spiffy dashboard widget :D

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
grapes911 said:
That's a big kinda. All it does is call on the FTP built into Finder. Personally, I ftp via the terminal.

Right, but not eveyone likes command line to FTP. It's very visually easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.