Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiger$tyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
London
Hi all,

As someone who often has unmanageable numbers of tabs open (I'm talking hundreds), I'm always in need of management tools to get a handle on it.

One thing that would help a lot is a plugin/app/feature that would group all open tabs from the same site.

For instance, if I have 10 windows open, each with 10 tabs – and there are 15 instances of Twitter open, but across the 10 windows, I'd love a way of being able to click and summon all Twitter tabs to one new window.

And the same for every other site.. I'm sure that many of the tabs I have open are not important, and it would be much more helpful if I were able to group them after the fact.

Thanks for any suggestions ! (except, "have less tabs". That's exactly what I'm trying to clamp down on..)

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
You can do something like this in Applescript. I run a script for years to find all open tabs containing a certain term/keyword in title or URL. If only one tab is found it will bring it to the front, otherwise presents you a list from which you can select the one to open.
The latest modified version is available here.

Feel free to extend it to add all tabs found into a new tab group or a new window in Safari.

Reactions: tiger$tyle

tiger$tyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
London
You can do something like this in Applescript. I run a script for years to find all open tabs containing a certain term/keyword in title or URL. If only one tab is found it will bring it to the front, otherwise presents you a list from which you can select the one to open.

Feel free to extend it to add all tabs found into a new tab group or a new window in Safari.
You hero! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

tiger$tyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
London

Sadly my AppleScript knowledge is non-existent, so extending it to all matching tabs is beyond me for now... I\ll try to read into it though, thank you

miamius001

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2023
Miami Florida
Wow

Life saver!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.