Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alezano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
How are safari performance in ios 8 beta2? Is it reloading tabs as quickly as ios7?

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
How are safari performance in ios 8 beta2? Is it reloading tabs as quickly as ios7?

iOS 8 won't add aditional RAM, so it won't be fixed. Loading heavy dekstop websites with Retina display resolution, 1GB ram and 64bit OS, if talking about iPad air, is kinda bombastic

alezano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
iOS 8 won't add aditional RAM, so it won't be fixed. Loading heavy dekstop websites with Retina display resolution, 1GB ram and 64bit OS, if talking about iPad air, is kinda bombastic

Ios 7.1 Improved greatly my ipad air experience in safari, so i think it is mainly a bad coding issue. just IMO.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Ios 7.1 Improved greatly my ipad air experience in safari, so i think it is mainly a bad coding issue. just IMO.

Also in 7.1.2 they added a lot of fixes to safari in regards to memory management. I defiantly think there was an improvement with tab reloading although you will still see refresh depending on the websites you visit and apps you have open. As a previous user said they can only do so much with 1gb ram but I think it has improved again since 7.1.2.

Last edited:

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Also in 7.1.2 they added a lot of fixes to safari in regards to memory management. I defiantly think there was an improvement with tab reloading although you will still see refresh depending on the websites you visit and apps you have open. As s previous uses said they can only so so much with 1gb ram but I think it has improved again since 7.1.2.

Yep. For me huge improvement iOS 7.1.2 because till that I had atleast one Safari crash and springboard on my iPad air. From latest first day update till now only one time Safari crashed. Seems stable but not best what Apple could do :) but those tabs refreshes won't gone for heavy desktop websites, RAM amount is the issue here :)

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Yep. For me huge improvement iOS 7.1.2 because till that I had atleast one Safari crash and springboard on my iPad air. From latest first day update till now only one time Safari crashed. Seems stable but not best what Apple could do :) but those tabs refreshes won't gone for heavy desktop websites, RAM amount is the issue here :)

Exactly, safari is much better for me as well since 7.1.2. Hopefully 2gb at least in the new iPads ....

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

A lot of the page reloading in iOS 7, in 64-bit devices in particular, have been attributed to a lack of RAM. But in reality I suspect that a good percentage of those reloads were page crashes coming from bugs in WebKit. It's no easy task to port an entire OS from 32 to 64-bit, and it's very possible that the 64-bit version had more loose ends, causing more page reloads from crashes.

iOS 8 beta 2 introduces a new feature in Safari which will show a banner saying "This page was reloaded because of a problem." when it is the case, enabling you to distinguish page crashes from instances where Safari ran out of memory.

Unfortunately the feature is a little buggy for now, but I think it shows that Apple is aware of the page reloading issue and I expect great improvements in b3-b4.

alezano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
A lot of the page reloading in iOS 7, in 64-bit devices in particular, have been attributed to a lack of RAM. But in reality I suspect that a good percentage of those reloads were page crashes coming from bugs in WebKit. It's no easy task to port an entire OS from 32 to 64-bit, and it's very possible that the 64-bit version had more loose ends, causing more page reloads from crashes.

iOS 8 beta 2 introduces a new feature in Safari which will show a banner saying "This page was reloaded because of a problem." when it is the case, enabling you to distinguish page crashes from instances where Safari ran out of memory.

Unfortunately the feature is a little buggy for now, but I think it shows that Apple is aware of the page reloading issue and I expect great improvements in b3-b4.

Glad to know. Thanks for your answer! ;)

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
7.1.2 is definitely better than 7.0, but I still get a lot of tabs reloading, is iOS 8 better or the same, I'm hoping not worse, but it is a beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.