Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Does anyone know if Safari will behave differently under Tiger?? I love Safari, but I'm getting frustrated. Today alone, I tried to pay 2 bills and order something of the web and I had to go to MSIE because Safari couldn't do it. In the past, I couldn't cancel a car reservation in Safari, and I couldn't check in to a flight I had and couldn't print boarding passes from Safari.

I've seen some good things about Mozila, but yikes, I really don't want 3 browsers on my Powerbook. And I've heard of some problems.

Any thoughts or suggestions????

Frank

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
safari is receiving an update with Tiger, how detailed it will be remains to be seen though, i haven't heard much myself

personally i dont even have IE on my powerbook anymore, but i do have Safari and Camino, between the two i have no problems what-so-ever

i would give Firefox or Camino a try from http://www.mozilla.org

they really are great full featured browsers, i prefer Camino or Safari myself, but they are both defiantly better than IE

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Safari is still being improved from time to time, there are still some web sites that don't fuction correctly so it might be an idea to do a bug report to Apple telling them the problem and showing them that site

Keep in mind some sites prefer IE and might only work right under that

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
safari is receiving an update with Tiger, how detailed it will be remains to be seen though, i haven't heard much myself

personally i dont even have IE on my powerbook anymore, but i do have Safari and Camino, between the two i have no problems what-so-ever

i would give Firefox or Camino a try from http://www.mozilla.org

they really are great full featured browsers, i prefer Camino or Safari myself, but they are both defiantly better than IE

Never using Camino, or Firefox (on an apple) and safari only at the apple store, i would THINK firefox is better than its sister browser camino because... well, firefox is the best WINDOWS browser!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
You might also want to try having Safari spoof IE. You do this by enabling Safari's Debug menu (command line: defaults write com.apple.safari IncludeDebugMenu 1) and then selecting Debug > User Agent and choose a browser, Windows MSIE 6.0, probably. According to the latest issue of MacAddict you can use this trick to sneak onto most sites that think they need IE...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dotdotdot said:
Never using Camino, or Firefox (on an apple) and safari only at the apple store, i would THINK firefox is better than its sister browser camino because... well, firefox is the best WINDOWS browser!

actually camino was built from the ground up to be a native mac browser so i find it to be much more mac-like than firefox, firefox has got extentions, but thats all it has over camino, if you have never tried it i would give it ago, it is faster than safari, and it can import all of your bookmarks from safari as well, just because firefox is the best for windows doesnt mean its the best for mac either, its free nothing to use by giving it a try either

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
fjs08 said:
Does anyone know if Safari will behave differently under Tiger?? I love Safari, but I'm getting frustrated. Today alone, I tried to pay 2 bills and order something of the web and I had to go to MSIE because Safari couldn't do it. In the past, I couldn't cancel a car reservation in Safari, and I couldn't check in to a flight I had and couldn't print boarding passes from Safari.

I've seen some good things about Mozila, but yikes, I really don't want 3 browsers on my Powerbook. And I've heard of some problems.

Any thoughts or suggestions????

Frank
Stop thinking like a Windows user. There is absolutely no reason that you cannot have several different browsers on your Mac. Another thing that you have to understand is that browsers are not "incompatible," web sites are. There are website developers out there who insist on targeting Internet Explorer at the expense of web standards. In the case of some, the workaround is to have your favorite browser spoof IE. In the case of other sites, unfortunately, there is no workaround. You have to use IE if you want to access the site. My suggestion is to write the webmasters of such sites and inform them that their sites are are out of compliance with W3C standards. Suggest that they run their handiwork through the WC3's HTML Validator web page.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hard to not think Windows. It's all around us. I had to work on my sons ThinkPad yesterday and my frustration level just went through the roof. Got a message, do I want to restart. I click NO and it restarted anyway. Ahh Windows!!!

Camino is the "sister" to Mozilla??
I'll look for it there??

How do we write the web sites or Apple about problems.

Thanks for all the info.

Frank

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I pay most of my bills online and do my banking and have never had a problem using Safari. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thanatoast said:
I pay most of my bills online and do my banking and have never had a problem using Safari. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Maybe or maybe you have a bank that knows what they are doing. Which actually makes you lucky.

In my case, the online bill paying service lists Safari as one of the supported Web Browser.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Thanatoast said:

Yeah, you're lucky. I used to do all my online banking with Safari, but then the bank upgraded their system, and the "improvements" rendered Safari useless. That's one of the main reasons whi I "switched" to Firefox.

Hopefully both the bank and Safari gets their act together... the bank in following w3c, Safari in being a bit more flexible when it comes to poor programming (at least the most usual IE native errors).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.