Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
When I go to gmail.com it automatically redirects me to my school email login, which is somehow linked. I have logged out of this, and even when I click on my gmail profile it automatically redirects here. Very irritating, is there any way to fix this without having to clear cache/cookies? I really do not want to delete all of my passwords.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Try going to settings/safari/advanced/website data.

Once you are there, it may take a moment for the page to load. After it does, search for gmail and you should then see gmail.com listed below. Swipe left on gmail.com to delete the website data for gmail.com.

That should clear up the issue.

Reactions: TH55

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Try going to settings/safari/advanced/website data.

Once you are there, it may take a moment for the page to load. After it does, search for gmail and you should then see gmail.com listed below. Swipe left on gmail.com to delete the website data for gmail.com.

That should clear up the issue.
Hmm I can’t seem to find Gmail in there. I found my school website and deleted that, didn’t fix the issue though.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Hmm I can’t seem to find Gmail in there. I found my school website and deleted that, didn’t fix the issue though.
You can try deleting all website data, but be aware that you will have to login to websites again and pinned tabs will be lost

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Delete all website data by deleting all history. You won't lose your passwords. Those are stored somewhere else.
I delete all my history every day, or any time after I have to use non-private browsing. Passwords are unaffected.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Delete all website data by deleting all history. You won't lose your passwords. Those are stored somewhere else.
I delete all my history every day, or any time after I have to use non-private browsing. Passwords are unaffected.
You are correct. Passwords are stored in keychain. However, you will have to log in to all websites again as all cookies are deleted.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
You can try deleting all website data, but be aware that you will have to login to websites again and pinned tabs will be lost
If this doesn’t work, whats my next move? Because I’m pretty sure I’ve done this recently and this issue has been going on for a while.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
If this doesn’t work, whats my next move? Because I’m pretty sure I’ve done this recently and this issue has been going on for a while.
I’m out of suggestions. Maybe call Apple Support to see if they have any ideas

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I thought I found a potential solution but wasn’t sure it was applicable, but on second look, some on this thread say clearing browser cache solved it. Take a look.

Last edited:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I thought I found a potential solution but wasn’t sure it was applicable, but on second look, some on this thread say clearing browser cache solved it. Take a look.

Doesn’t that delete passwords?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Doesn’t that delete passwords?
Clearing your browser cache effectively logs you out of any websites you are logged in to (MacRumors for example). Websites keep you logged in via cookies so that when you close your browser, you don't have to continually log back in to the site.

When you clear the cache, you delete all the cookies, so you are effectively logged out of all websites and any setting for those sites are also deleted.

If you are keeping your passwords in iCloud keychain then clearing the cache does not remove them from iCloud keychain. But, you will have to re-enter your passwords in the login pages of any sites you login to.

hope this helps

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Clearing your browser cache effectively logs you out of any websites you are logged in to (MacRumors for example). Websites keep you logged in via cookies so that when you close your browser, you don't have to continually log back in to the site.

When you clear the cache, you delete all the cookies, so you are effectively logged out of all websites and any setting for those sites are also deleted.

If you are keeping your passwords in iCloud keychain then clearing the cache does not remove them from iCloud keychain. But, you will have to re-enter your passwords in the login pages of any sites you login to.

hope this helps
How do I determine if all of my passwords are saved?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Check settings/your name/iCloud/keychain. This should be on if you are using keychain to save your passwords,
Then go to settings/passwords and you can see what passwords are saved.

I would recommend that if you have concerns about doing any of this, contact apple support. They can walk you through the process and help ensure that you do not inadvertently delete your passwords.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Check settings/your name/iCloud/keychain. This should be on if you are using keychain to save your passwords,
Then go to settings/passwords and you can see what passwords are saved.

I would recommend that if you have concerns about doing any of this, contact apple support. They can walk you through the process and help ensure that you do not inadvertently delete your passwords.
Cool thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.