Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
I'm trying to upload just 5 gb of files to a cloud storage. But every time I do, Safari automatically refreshes the page during the upload (which cancels the upload) and says "this page was reloaded because it was using significant memory". This has forced me to restart the upload 3 times now. I've even tried clearing the cache, and it still happens. What do I have to do to make Safari not do this crap?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Have you tried using another browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, etc.) to see if those browsers encounter the same problem?

Have you tried uploading in smaller batches?

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
Have you tried using another browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, etc.) to see if those browsers encounter the same problem?

Have you tried uploading in smaller batches?
For the first question, I'm trying Firefox now and it's working.

For the second question, I've successfully uploaded batches as big as 20 gigabytes at once via Safari before with no issues. Only now it's suddenly giving me issues with a measly 5gb upload.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
For the second question, I've successfully uploaded batches as big as 20 gigabytes at once via Safari before with no issues. Only now it's suddenly giving me issues with a measly 5gb upload.

That is strange. You might try restarting your computer if you haven't already. I'd also be curious to know if Safari still gave you an issue if you tried uploading, say, 1GB.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
It's crazy I've gone from 100% Safari user (for years) to 75% in just a few months. Started with Disney, then bank, then Yahoo, now I'm finding more and more sites work better with Chrome or Firefox. It's like the IE wars from 20 years ago. Have to wonder if this is coming from Apple or if the websites are being deliberately non-compliant for Safari. If it's Apple then it's very misguided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.