Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Which websites? I'm on 8.1 right now, and I can test this for you if you let me know the site address.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Ya know I hate to say it but I think safari will never be the same.. I'm on beta 2 and they haven't done much to get it back to par with 7.1.2. A lot of times my tabs are reloading too and there is that new "feature" where it takes a few seconds to load pages where as before content would start appearing almost instantly. Anyone who says on yeah my safari is fine clearly doesnt remember 7.1.2 performance or hasn't been exposed to it. It's still usable but a clear step backwards... Grumble grumble.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Ya know I hate to say it but I think safari will never be the same.. I'm on beta 2 and they haven't done much to get it back to par with 7.1.2. A lot of times my tabs are reloading too and there is that new "feature" where it takes a few seconds to load pages where as before content would start appearing almost instantly. Anyone who says on yeah my safari is fine clearly doesnt remember 7.1.2 performance or hasn't been exposed to it. It's still usable but a clear step backwards... Grumble grumble.

Yup, Safari in iOS 8 has a stupid 0.5-1sec pause.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Safari has always been terrible at keeping tabs open, going all the way back to iPhone OS 1.0 in June 2007. Don't expect anything to change. Expect to never leave a page where you're filling out a form or you will have to start over. It actually got a little bit worse once Apple switched to 64-bit processors and kept the same amount of RAM because 64-bit apps use 20-30% more RAM to complete the same tasks. It might run slightly faster, but it can't hold as much information. Going from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 Plus, my iPhone 6 Plus reloads much more often than my iPhone 5. In iOS 8 I think it might be worse because now I get this banner across the top saying there was an error all the time. Sites like The Verge are the worst. I ran iOS 8 beta on my iPhone 5 for almost a month before release and never saw that banner, so I don't know. My iPad has a 64-bit A7 and had similar issues in iOS 7, but not as bad as in iOS 8. My wife is mainly using the iPad now that I have the Plus, so I'm not sure if it is also having as many problems. I suspect it might. Most people suggest trying another browser though, as Safari is just buggy as hell which makes the RAM problems exaggerated.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/26872/Why+I+m+sticking+with+Android.html

This blog.. And along with some other forums I visit...

----------

After scrolling down the whole site just crashes along with safari.
I scroll down to the bottom of that page (including comments), safari doesn't crash.
Open a lot of apps (about 15), switch back to safari, it doesn't reload.
Open asphalt 8 and a couple of games, safari still doesn't reload.
I'm on a 5S by the way, and safari rarely reload on my phone even on iOS 7 and 8.0.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I scroll down to the bottom of that page (including comments), safari doesn't crash.
Open a lot of apps (about 15), switch back to safari, it doesn't reload.
Open asphalt 8 and a couple of games, safari still doesn't reload.
I'm on a 5S by the way, and safari rarely reload on my phone even on iOS 7 and 8.0.

What os are you on? iOS 8.1? Actually I realized it crashes if I switch to the full desktop mode instead of mobile mode. JavaScript issue?

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I'm on 8.1 b2. I tried both the mobile and desktop site, and it didn't crash.

Ah good ! What device are you using? I'm using an iPad 4. Hopefully when 8.1 rolls out it will be like this, crosses my fingers.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Using TheVerge is frustration on iOS 8. It takes way too long to load and frequency get crashes. Makes me hate them for abandoning the app and killing development on other people making a perfectly fine Verge app *ahem* D.Verge *ahem*.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.