Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
I'm looking for some out of the box solutions for this ongoing issue.

Any websites I'm signed into (Twitter, Google, YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest, Gizmodo) will all logout at the same time. I can stay logged in for typically one day, maybe up to 2 days and once for only 2 hours. When logging back in, it appears like the websites are not recognizing this device, so I need to authenticate on a second device.

I've tried uninstalling all Safari extensions for a time, but it didn't prevent these logouts within 24 hours. No VPNs, malware or CleanMyMac type apps installed.

The latest attempt was deleting all Safari caches, cookies and other misc Safari resources in the Library. I don't have private browsing or relay on.

I've been working with an Apple senior advisor for a couple weeks about this. It's also my second go around with them—several months ago I reinstalled Monterey which seemed to resolve the issue for a few months but not a permanent solution.

MacOS 12.4, MacBook Pro (2021 M1 16-inch, 64GB Mem), Safari 15.5. I also own a MBP 2018, on Catalina, which stays logged into all websites.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Welcome to MacRumours!

Interesting challenge.. We accept! Thanks for the detailed diagnosis.

Is there anything out of the ordinary in terms of your network setup? I.e. at a university campus, using a shared network connection, WAN IP isn't changing daily, etc?

I will highlight that 2FA/MFA is a _good_ thing, but it can often come at the price of convenience (although this seems to be an extreme case). Is there anything else that comes to mind about your setup that is worth sharing? For example, does it happen on your mobile device or tablet?

macnmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Welcome to MacRumours!

Interesting challenge.. We accept! Thanks for the detailed diagnosis.

Is there anything out of the ordinary in terms of your network setup? I.e. at a university campus, using a shared network connection, WAN IP isn't changing daily, etc?

I will highlight that 2FA/MFA is a _good_ thing, but it can often come at the price of convenience (although this seems to be an extreme case). Is there anything else that comes to mind about your setup that is worth sharing? For example, does it happen on your mobile device or tablet?
I'm on a home network. It's not a fixed IP, but it's not changing often since I'm able to connect with my network Synology for some time. My other Mac computers, iPhone and iPad are not logging out. This M1 does choke on some websites while loading sometimes requiring quit of Safari to get it finally loaded.

Also, Chrome is not logging out any of these websites while Safari is almost daily.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
You just get logged out or Safari quits? Any clues in the Safari log? Does your internet provider disconnects your router every 24 hours shortly and assigns a new IP? Is the router firmware up to date? In which band are the 2 MBP connected - the same or different… as in one in 2.4 the other in 5 Ghz?

macnmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
You just get logged out or Safari quits? Any clues in the Safari log? Does your internet provider disconnects your router every 24 hours shortly and assigns a new IP? Is the router firmware up to date? In which band are the 2 MBP connected - the same or different… as in one in 2.4 the other in 5 Ghz?
Like I said, the websites are logging out—it's not crashing or quitting out. Apple has collected logs twice. They also had me run a Capture Data app to collect data as it happens. The deleting of caches and such was the result of their data analysis. I can't provide ISP details other than everything is using the 5 ghz channel, and this issue is only occurring on the M1.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
When logging back in, it appears like the websites are not recognizing this device, so I need to authenticate on a second device

Have you checked your ISP modem internet address before and after the logouts? Not recognizing the address when you log back in might point to the ISP DNS address changing so websites that rely on IP identification don't recognize the address and ask you to re-authorize. Happens to me all the time, although not this frequently.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
If not already you might like to try to create a new Wi-Fi network location icluding adding the DNS and MTU details. Ensure to exit all apps that run with the help of Wi-Fi first.
  • Navigate System Preferences> Network.
  • Hit on Wi-Fi> Drop-Down Menu Next To Location> choose Edit Locations.
  • After that hit “+” to establish the new location and name it.
  • Hit Done.
  • Next, choose Advance> Renew DHCP Lease present under TCP/IP.
  • Now you will receive the warning pop-up saying Renewing DHCP lease cause any unsaved change to be lost. Would like to apply your changes before renewing the DHCP lease?
  • Hit on Apply.
  • Move towards DNS Tab> Write 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (that is the Cloudflare DNS; of course you can use Google’s DNS etc.) in the DNS server field
  • After that, choose Hardware And Configure Manually.
  • Then, you need to customize MTU directly to Custom and configure it to 1453 and choose OK.
  • Select on Apply.
Additionally navigate to System Preference> Profiles> Custom Profile and clear out any profile (reinstall any required one).

pmaiorana

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Were you ever able to find a resolution to this issue? I've had the same problem twice now of being logged out of all websites in Safari (but with far less frequency... it happened twice in the past month) and would like to fix the root cause if you have any ideas!

barkerja

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
I'm having the exact same issue on my Mac Studio. Sometimes it happens several times a day, sometimes it's only several times a week. I can't find any patterns to its occurrence.

I run the same versions of macOS and Safari on my MacBook Pro and have never experienced this issue on it.

I have noticed this seems to affect only sites that use cookies. Sites that use LocalStorage for storing login data is never impacted.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
I still much prefer Safari, especially when I'm using the MBP on battery. It's just this one annoying issue on my Mac Studio, that may not even be directly a Safari issue (could be a disk/system issue, etc.)
It "saves" battery because it underperforms. If you tried other browsers you'd realize most aren't that far from Safari in terms of battery usage anyways, though they perform better. Even Orion which is in beta, outperforms Apple's poor browser attempt.

shorn

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I'm wondering too if anyone has found a fix for this, or at least the reason why.
I was having this issue at the tail end of last year. I ended up doing a clean install when updating to Sonoma.

This fixed the issue up until the last day or two. Now, I'm getting logged out repeatedly across all websites.

(FWIW, when I was having this issue before, I tried Safari Tech Preview and that wasn't having the issue).

Safari is essentially becoming unusable now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.