Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I will not email to Google,because it does not do the same. Here is the proof:

You see, both Android version on Nexus 7 and iOS 7 version on iPad 3 still show you full URL.

However, on Safari

It only show you shorten URL, full URL is hidden away

Ok I looked at it one more time on my iphone 5.

On Both Safari and Chrome you have to tap the address bar to see the full URL. On Chrome it fully displays it whereas in Safari it shows it truncated unless you scroll to the right. However, if you tap the address bar in Safari when the iphone is in landscape mode it displays the entire address.

Now I don't know if Apple assumes people browse in landscape mode or they just overlooked the feature in portrait mode.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Please help, I'm helpless. How do I make all of these replacement apps the default apps for easy integration with the rest of the OS? And how do I get rid of the Apple app that was replaced?

oh, so because you can't delete an apple app you are going to continue to use them and complain instead of making your life better by using the alternatives.

A lot of apps are adding functionality to "open in chrome" for example, eliminating your need. You can also open all the google apps from within each other, so how about you try it out because it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
Haha wow people… if you honestly think I'm trolling, that's kind of sad.

Let me set it straight.

I am a long time (18+ years) Apple user. I am a developer for OS X and iOS. This is why I buy and will continue to buy Apple products. Don't tell me to go buy something different if this issue bothers me.

It is not a deal breaker. I can live with it. I just wanted to put some feelers out to see if this bothered anyone else. Standard web browsing practice is to always show the URL or at least a page title. This is an issue of CLARITY and SECURITY.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't clarity one of the three buzzwords of iOS 7? Look, I love iOS 7 and I think overall it is a huge step forward. I love Apple and appreciate what they're doing. And I even appreciate that for the vast majority of folks out there, this will be a non-issue.

However, there are real convenience, and much more importantly, security, concerns when your browser obfuscates the URL or even just the page title of the site you're viewing.

Do I understand why Apple did it? Sure. Can I live with it? Sure. Will I download Chrome? Hell no. I love iCloud keychain, iCloud tabs, reading list, and all of the other integrations that go along with Safari, and I will continue to use and enjoy Safari. This is just one little niggle that I thought I'd open to discussion for mature and intelligible people who either dislike or like this functionality.

Maybe my choice of words (read: maddening) wasn't the best. It does bother me regularly, as I'm just so used to following along my breadcrumbs via the URL as I explore web pages, and also verifying that websites aren't up to anything fishy.

Let's try to keep this civil, people. For everyone who had valuable input on this matter, I truly appreciate you. Whether you agree with me or not, I do not really care. I just wanted an open discussion to air out the pros and cons of this design decision.

That is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Champagne_5S

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
This still really frustrates me and I thought I had read it would be fixed with an option at least in iOS 8. But it appears that's not the case.

If anyone has a workaround (besides using a different browser) let us know!

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just in case anyone finds this oldish thread while is looking for the solution...

In Safari on Yosemite, go to "Preferences" -> "Advanced" and check the box "Show full website address".
Nice that they have that option in OS X, unfortunately it doesn't seem like it applies to iOS (which is basically what this thread is about).

Reactions: MBHockey

conradshull

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
THE OUTRAGE! That's it, Apple has lost me as a customer!!

Seriously though... The things people complain about with apple. I can never tell if these posts are a joke, or serious folk who are just way too damn picky. Makes me wonder why they even buy Apple products. (Or would they be the same with Android/Windows?).

It is NOT picky to want the full URL displayed always. Those who do not want it are those who have little or no idea what they are doing and are probably just looking for pictures and videos of cats and Kardash...s. I've been online longer that most Apple product uses have been alive (yes, pre-WWW), and this "feature" is insulting to those of us who know we are being insulted by Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.