Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesraward

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Hello,

I've an irritating problem that I've found others experiencing on t'interweb (but given the hard-to-describe nature I'm unable to find these threads again) that I'm hoping someone might be able to shed light on.

When I do a search in safari (latest on El Capitan - all updates) the suggestions appear whilst you're typing:
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 23.07.20.png

When you press enter, the suggestions box goes away, as you'd expect. However when the google page loads, it's back, and you have to click on the page to dismiss it before you can click on any links etc:
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 23.07.24.png

It's incredibly annoying, and I've tried to find a solution out there but I a) can't describe the issue in a way that brings me any information and b) have messed around with settings to no avail.

Really hoping someone is able to help!!

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
That does not repeat for me. Some things to try: create a new user and see if the problem repeats. Remove safari plugins/extensions. Adblock is the only extension I have right now.

Reactions: jamesraward

jamesraward

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Well, an interesting result; I set up another profile (this computer only has my own) and this didn't happen on that clean (non admin) profile.

Switched back to mine, and the issue wasn't there on mine either - curious.

Thanks for the tip though, seems to have done the trick (for the time being!)

jamesraward

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2009
It's back - and I've no idea how to get rid of it. I really don't want to have to recreate my profile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.