Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanman405

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2014
For several months now I have not been able to use Safari on my iPad at all. Whenever I open Safari, there are no tabs or address bar visible. The screen is almost completely white and the app seems to be frozen and then the app crashes. I have tried restarting my iPad, turning off safari sync, and clearing history and website data as possible fixes, but none of that seems to have any effect. I have included a dropbox link to a QuickTime movie of a screen recording of my iPad. My iPad is a 4th generation unit with 128 GB (wifi only) and uses iOS 9.3.2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9b9j40go6b19en/iPad Safari issue.mov?dl=0

tanman405

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I did that process several times, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I seem to have solved the issue. I wish it could have been done another way, but I did a factory restore of the iPad. Safari is working fine now. I actually did two factory restorations. After the first one, I then restored from a recent backup. Safari was again useless as it was before. So, I restored again and individually loaded up my old apps and went back to the old settings.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I think force restarting actually does less (because the os isnt let to shut down normally) than restarting and hence may cause corruption - and should be used only if the device isnt response normally. (But i have no first hand knowledge about this.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.