Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I have an iPad Air 3, and I always run whatever the latest iPadOS is current.

I have an issue with Safari that’s been there forever, going back to at least iPadOS 12 that I can recall.

Namely, I visit a particular forum, and Safari doesn’t update posts. So, I’ll see on the landing page that a user posted a new post, but when I click the thread, the post isn’t there, instead there’s the old posts from a few days ago. Refreshing the page, or opening the thread in a new tab doesn’t fix the issue... the new post simply isn’t visible, period.

Now, ordinarily I’d say it’s an issue with that particular board (as it doesn’t happen with any other forum that I’ve encountered so far), but here’s the thing - when I then go to the forum using Chrome, there is no problem! Clearly one browser works and the other is trash. And I wouldn’t particularly criticize Safari if it was just an issue with one particular OS version, any browser can have bugs, but this problem has been there forever, and Apple still haven’t fixed it! That’s garbage, when even Chrome can manage.

I don’t care if the problem is with cookie handling or whatever, it should never be the case that a non-native browser, particularly Chrome(!) is better than Safari! That’s low!

And that, ladies and gents, is why you can’t just rely on Safari, and you simply gotta keep spyware like Chrome around, because Apple can’t be bothered to fix issues for months or years. Trash! Yes, I am quite annoyed.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Have you tried clearing all website data? Sounds like a cache issue possibly. I’ve never experienced such a problem.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
And that, ladies and gents, is why you can’t just rely on Safari, and you simply gotta keep spyware like Chrome around
You do know that other browsers like Microsoft Edge, Brave and Firefox are also available on iOS right? Picking that spyware Chrome is your own choice.

• Angry
Reactions: calstanford

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
All I can say is that I quit using Chrome and switched to Safari because in the majority of my usage, I have found Safari to be better. I do use Chrome as my Windows browser. Is Safari perfect? No. Is it trash because in this instance it doesn't work for you? Doesn't rate as an overall condemnation as trash.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Yeah, clearing all cookies/data from Safari through settings resolves the issue, but geez, it shouldn’t take nuking everything from the orbit to have the browser update forum posts, LOL! After all, Chrome doesn’t need that. I have a bunch of tabs open, I’m logged into sites and all that goes away if I have to clear all data from Safari - what a nuisance!

And sure, there are other browser than Chrome, but it’s still disappointing that a native browser has such issues for so long. Again, I wouldnt’ve said a word if it was just a recent bug, but it’s been there for months/years.

Anyhow, yeah, I still use Safari as default on iOS/iPadOS, but I’m not thrilled with it. On MacOS, I rarely use Safari... except on the M1 MBP, just because I want to keep the M1 MBP stock as long as possible, and Safari is the only browser that’s there right out of the box. YMMV.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah, clearing all cookies/data from Safari through settings resolves the issue, but geez, it shouldn’t take nuking everything from the orbit to have the browser update forum posts, LOL! After all, Chrome doesn’t need that. I have a bunch of tabs open, I’m logged into sites and all that goes away if I have to clear all data from Safari - what a nuisance!

And sure, there are other browser than Chrome, but it’s still disappointing that a native browser has such issues for so long. Again, I wouldnt’ve said a word if it was just a recent bug, but it’s been there for months/years.

Anyhow, yeah, I still use Safari as default on iOS/iPadOS, but I’m not thrilled with it. On MacOS, I rarely use Safari... except on the M1 MBP, just because I want to keep the M1 MBP stock as long as possible, and Safari is the only browser that’s there right out of the box. YMMV.

Similar issues occur with other browsers, too. A particular national news magazine I read only displays a blank page in Chrome on my Win10 machines - I have to use Firefox or MS Edge to view it.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017

Sometimes the cache gets corrupted or gets something bad in it. It can happen to any browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.