Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I'm finding Safari on Mojave very nearly useless on some sites like YouTube. Slowness in page redraws, mainly. Long waits for items to appear. Like I'm on dial-up in 1998 or something.

I've cleared the cache and reset Safari. I've tried turning iCloud syncing off and on again. Disabled extensions. Still crap. I think it's something to do with buggy implementation of storing online data because it only seems to happen on Javascript-heavy sites.

Anybody else finding this? Even better—have you found a cure?

(PLEASE please please don't hijack this thread to talk about how you hate Safari and switched to Chrome or something similar, and how I should do the same. I'm looking for discussion and solutions for this problem. Thanks.)

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
I have none of those problems with Safari. My YouTube is just as fast as it always has been. My page refreshes are quick and without delay. I have none of the symptoms you are describing. Maybe you should switch to Chrome. Just Kidding. :). It would be helpful if you posted your system specs including your ISP. Myself I'm using a cable connection at 100mps and my MacPro is hardwired. If you are using wifi that might be the problem.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
OK good to know and thanks for your reply.

To cut a long story short, I do use Wi-Fi with DSL internet speeds of 70Mbit. But it's blazing fast everywhere else in things like downloads (screenshot below—not blazing fast in this example but at 3.5Mb/second surely not slow). It's just crap in Safari on certain sites like YouTube and Twitter. Facebook isn't great either but not as bad as some of the sites.

1YuGciC.png

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Not sure. I know I ditched DSL long ago as the speeds varied so much during a given day. If my son was on his PS3 or even was watch YouTube it would bring my whole bandwidth to it's knees. I switched to cable for the faster more reliable speeds.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
But when I have these issues I can switch to another app and get instant fast speeds.

What you say has made me think a little though. I've been using the Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS and I wonder if my problems are a routing issue.

The services I mention – YouTube and Twitter – are all high-volume sites. Often ISPs will put in place special routing to compensate for this, and I think Google's DNS has similar provisions to ensure traffic always goes to these services via the shortest route (I think it's called Anycast routing).

That might be the issue and certainly a starting point for investigation. I'll try 8.8.8.8 for a while.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
If anybody's reading this read via Google, this appears to have fixed my issue

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Repairing permissions on the home folder. Yes, you can still do this under Mojave. Apple even created a special tool for the job.

Oh and unrelated was that some people reported other problems in Safari were helped by turning off the develop menu, via the Preferences dialog box.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I'm having issues as well with YouTube in Safari being slow and sometimes freezing. Sometimes when I type in the YouTube search bar, it takes a few seconds for what I type to appear. This is happening on my new MacBook Air, it's recently been happening on my iMac, and it has happened on the two MacBook Pros I used for a few weeks. So I know it's not computer specific. This is happening in Safari on both High Sierra and Mojave.

I have yet to try any other browser.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I'm finding Safari on Mojave very nearly useless on some sites like YouTube. Slowness in page redraws, mainly. Long waits for items to appear. Like I'm on dial-up in 1998 or something.

I've cleared the cache and reset Safari. I've tried turning iCloud syncing off and on again. Disabled extensions. Still crap. I think it's something to do with buggy implementation of storing online data because it only seems to happen on Javascript-heavy sites.

Anybody else finding this? Even better—have you found a cure?

(PLEASE please please don't hijack this thread to talk about how you hate Safari and switched to Chrome or something similar, and how I should do the same. I'm looking for discussion and solutions for this problem. Thanks.)

Youtube works perfectly fine for me on Safari. Maybe your system is old and outdated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.