Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
In Safari, when I first turn on the computer, I can hold command and click on a link to open the link in a new tab (same thing as control click, drag/highlight on "open in new tab"). This will work for a while, but then after a few minutes, this command+click on a link will start opening whatever link I click on in a new tab and in a new window. Has anybody else encountered this?

(I posted this same exact question previously in regards to Firefox, but then discovered it occurred with Safari also...)

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
New window should be option+command+click. Are you sure you're not bumping anything? Make sure your preferences are set up the same as in the picture:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 119

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
for some reason, the cmd+shift+click on a new link won't open links from gmail in a new tab. Anybody else have this problem? and yea, I did set my Safari preferences as above.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Oh man, CMD-SHIFT-CLICK is your friend! I use that all the time! For instance, visit a news site, scan the stories, then cmd-shift-click all the interesting links which open up in other tabs. Then you can CMD-W through them. Well, just wanted to share some of the little things that make me happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.