Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
El Capitan 9.0.3

A week or so ago, Safari started opening in a small window. Hitting the "green" dot expands it to full screen, but I'm starting to find this very annoying. Anyone know how to make Safari open in full screen mode?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In normal operation, Safari opens the way it was configured when you last Quit the program. Do you use Quit to get out of it? If you just hit the red dot, you have not Quit the program.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What is "El Capitan 9.0.3"?
El Capitan 9.0.3

A week or so ago, Safari started opening in a small window. Hitting the "green" dot expands it to full screen, but I'm starting to find this very annoying. Anyone know how to make Safari open in full screen mode?

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
This happens whether I quit with the red dot, click on Safari and put down the menu to "Quit Safari", right click on the Safari icon at the bottom of the screen or click on "force quit" Safari. On another board, I saw this response to the problem.,,

Try deleting the cache associated with Safari.

Open the Finder. From the menu bar top of your screen click Go > Go to Folder

Type this exactly as you see it here: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go

Move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

At least one reply said this work for him, but it doesn't work for me.
[doublepost=1460481043][/doublepost]
What is "El Capitan 9.0.3"?

A type, it was meant to be the version of Safari. My El Capitan is 10.11.3

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
For me it goes something likes this:
Open new Safari window. Resize and move window to your liking. Close window. Every new windows should open in the new size and location.
Make sure to do nothing else but opening, resizing & moving, closing. No site loading, no searching.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I think I just discovered what causes the problem and how to make it go away. A while back (maybe several months) I saw a Safari Extension called "Resizeme2". At the time it seem like something I would like. A few minutes ago, I found this extension under Safari Preferences and noticed the "enable" button wasn't checked. After enabling, Safari now opens in full screen mode. Now I have to do a little research is see if I really have any use for this extension. If not, I'm removing it from the computer.
[doublepost=1460482088][/doublepost]
I've been randomly getting this as well. It's a bit annoying really.

If you have the "Resizeme2" extension, see my reply above. Fixed my problem and yes, I will agree it's VERY annoying.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
No I do not have that extension installed, up until you said anything I'd never heard of it before.

Then you might try the procedure below...

Try deleting the cache associated with Safari.

Open the Finder. From the menu bar top of your screen click Go > Go to Folder (GO is located at the top bar)

Type this exactly as you see it here: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db (easier to copy/paste)

Click Go

Move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

At least one reply said this work for him, but it doesn't work for me.

ZebcoKid

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
El Capitan 9.0.3

Hello.

First piece of help I've offered, and it comes after searching for the same solution, and finding it.

Here's the deal. Take your small window and manually stretch it to the size you want. Then close the window, or quit the program, it doesn't matter which. It appears that the software keys off of the manual sizing for future windows. When you open a new window, it will be the same size and placement on the screen as the one you manually sized and positioned. Cheers!

TeryS

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Hello.

First piece of help I've offered, and it comes after searching for the same solution, and finding it.

Here's the deal. Take your small window and manually stretch it to the size you want. Then close the window, or quit the program, it doesn't matter which. It appears that the software keys off of the manual sizing for future windows. When you open a new window, it will be the same size and placement on the screen as the one you manually sized and positioned. Cheers!
Thank you! Your solution solved my problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.