Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dble07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2022
Can someone tell me if I am missing something? I have a work profile set up for safari. I have a work focus as well. In the work focus I set a safari filter to change to the work profile. When I turn off(or smart activation turns off) the work focus mode, the safari profile doesn’t automatically revert back to my default. I realize that I could set a “personal” focus as a work around, but given there are other aspects of the os that have a neutral state I would assume this would be a no brainer. Am I overlooking something or is this an oversight by Apple?

Reactions: insomniac86

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Can someone tell me if I am missing something? I have a work profile set up for safari. I have a work focus as well. In the work focus I set a safari filter to change to the work profile. When I turn off(or smart activation turns off) the work focus mode, the safari profile doesn’t automatically revert back to my default. I realize that I could set a “personal” focus as a work around, but given there are other aspects of the os that have a neutral state I would assume this would be a no brainer. Am I overlooking something or is this an oversight by Apple?
You are correct in your understanding. However, I believe this was fixed in a point release of iOS. MacOS on the other hand is still broken. When a focus mode is deactivated it doesn't return the system to the previous state.

Who ever coded the Siri Shortcuts was completely useless and didn't take 1 second to think about practical use cases.
As you can see below (and it doesn't matter what other functions you try) you can't set a Safari filter/Profile when when a focus mode is deactivated. All options are coded that you have to be in a Focus mode to set a profile.
You can't even clear a focus filter without being in in a focus.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.17.12 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.20.53 pm.png

Really stupid of them.

Since the last set safari focus sticks when turning off a focus, I have created a shortcut with the following logic.
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 11.06.19 pm.png

You will notice that I have to also open Safari when in the personal mode in order for the focus to apply.

Another downer is that you can't run MacOS Shortcuts via an automation.
So you either have to run the shortcut manually or trigger this via a focus mode change from an iOS device which runs the shortcut via an SSH session on your Mac. This can be natively done via the Shortcuts app on iOS however it has terrible error handling. So I have coded some logic via the the iOS app "a-Shell" which has amazing iOS shortcut support.

Anyway, if anyone from the Shortcuts team reads this, please fix it. Apple isn't meant to be amateur hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.