Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
Hey guys (first post)

Has anyone else experienced any issues with Safari? I receive the error "Safari Quit Unexpectedly" every time I attempt to open Safari. The error is a "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)" I've been running OS X Mavericks beta on an early 2008 MacBook Pro since the first developer preview with no issues, until now. I am now up to date with developer preview 7. I have done quite a bit of research on the issue but to no avail.

So far I have done the following:
•Run Disk Utility
•Tested in a different user account (successful)
•Attempted in Safe Mode (successful)
•Removing "Safari AdBlock"
•Disabling Safari Attachments
•Moving com.apple.safari.plist (ect) Files to Desktop
•Clearing Caches
•Cleaning PRAM/NVRAM

There is an attached document containing the crash report if anyone is interested. I hope I have included everything if I have forgoten anything I apologize.

Thank you for any advice in advance,
-Brydon A Jordan

Attachments

• Safari Crash.doc
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,319
Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hey guys (first post)

Has anyone else experienced any issues with Safari? I receive the error "Safari Quit Unexpectedly" every time I attempt to open Safari....

Make sure to file a BR and it will send a log report.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
Try using Pacifist to reinstall Safari.
http://www.charlessoft.com

I have installed the Pacifist application, as well as read and followed instructions. Unfortunately, when searching for Safari in Pacifist no mater what I do I cannot get the install button or extract button to become valid.

Make sure to file a BR and it will send a log report.

I have filed an extensive and detailed bug report to Apple.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have installed the Pacifist application, as well as read and followed instructions. Unfortunately, when searching for Safari in Pacifist no mater what I do I cannot get the install button or extract button to become valid.

I have filed an extensive and detailed bug report to Apple.

Strange. I'm not at home, so I can't test.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
These are the files that come up. I've dug in them for any kind of file I can use but it appears I am missing installer files for some reason. If not that, then I am unsure as to why I couldn't simply reinstall Safari.

Thanks for the advice so far, by the way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 12.30.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 12.30.36 PM.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 1,503

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Well since it's not crashing on another account I'd probably try just moving

~/Library/Safari
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState
~/Library/SyncedPreferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

to the desktop or something and seeing if Safari Starts. I'm fairly sure that's all/most of the User specific things Safari uses.

Something like this:
Code:
mkdir ~/Desktop/Old\ Safari; mv ~/Library/Safari ~/Desktop/Old\ Safari/Safari; mv ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari ~/Desktop/Old\ Safari/Caches/com.apple.Safari; mv ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState ~/Desktop/Old\ Safari/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState; mv ~/Library/SyncedPreferences/com.apple.Safari.plist ~/Desktop/Old\ Safari/SyncedPreferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
These are the files that come up. I've dug in them for any kind of file I can use but it appears I am missing installer files for some reason. If not that, then I am unsure as to why I couldn't simply reinstall Safari.

Thanks for the advice so far, by the way.

Are you using Pacifist on the installer files?
Also do what wolf said since it is specific to your account just removing the files should fix it.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
Yes, I indeed did try that on the installer files but to no avail!

I just finished moving those files to the desktop and tried to start Safari but with the same error. I restarted the computer and tried again and it still launched unsuccessfully.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, I indeed did try that on the installer files but to no avail!

I just finished moving those files to the desktop and tried to start Safari but with the same error. I restarted the computer and tried again and it still launched unsuccessfully.

Did you find anything useful on the developer forum? They are very helpful. Most of the time an Apple engineer will post with help. I suspect they will just want the bug report number since you filed it already.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
Ok, I finally have a working Safari!

Here are the steps I took:
The solution i have seen so far has been to remove any and all 1Password .safariextz files from:

~/Library/Safari/Extensions/

And also remove safari-extension_com.agilebits.onepassword-safari-2bua8c4s2c_0 from:

~/Library/Safari/Databases/

My issue with Pacifist was that for some reason my OS X 10.9 installer files were literally... Gone. So: /Users/Brydon/Downloads/OS X Mavericks 10.9 Developer Preview/OS X Mavericks 10.9 DP7.dmg
That file was completely inaccessible for some reason and I couldn't extract the download files to reinstall Safari. So I redownloaded the .dmg without running the installer and extracted the files with Pacifist from there

I hope this helps somebody along the road, and thanks for the suggestions and input guys!
-Brydon A Jordan

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I hope this helps somebody along the road, and thanks for the suggestions and input guys!
Well, the suggestion for any developer would be to run Safari without any 3rd party extensions :eek: Until such time as you are testing them... one by one I might add.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
So far I have done the following:
•Run Disk Utility
•Tested in a different user account (successful)
•Attempted in Safe Mode (successful)
•Removing "Safari AdBlock"
•Disabling Safari Attachments (edit: I meant extensions)
•Moving com.apple.safari.plist (ect) Files to Desktop
•Clearing Caches
•Cleaning PRAM/NVRAM

I tried to include that I did indeed disable extensions on Safari.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Strange that the 1Password extension was giving you trouble. Might want to send them your error log as well. I've been using it on all the builds without issue.
Glad you got it working though.

BrydonJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Garland, TX
Indeed, I agree. Regardless I have it working now and I have sent in my error log. If I come across any more detailed info on what the issue was, I will be more than happy to come back and share my findings for other viewers.

Jewelz

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
Safari quit unexpectedly

Hi, I have been reading all the posts, glad it worked. I am having same issue, but am not too computer smart, and this is my first apple. Just wondered if someone can put the solution in easy steps to follow. Thanks so much!

CoryR

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
Install Firefox and forget about Safari

I have an android S4 simulator installed on my mac. I use Virtualbox and Genymotion to run my simulator.
Because I could not install Firefox due to my Safari crashing immediately when I try to run it, I used my simulator. I used the web browser on it to google "firefox for mac" and downloaded the firefox.dmg file. I then went into the downloads section of the Galaxy S4 Simulator, found my dmg file, clicked the box and emailed the file to my icloud mailbox. I then installed firefox on to my laptop from there.
I was never a big fan of Safari. Awesome when it works properly.... enough said....
I should add that I tried everything to fix Safari and nothing worked! I did not want to deal with reinstalling the OS system so I did this instead.

Anand_74

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2020
Friends,

Plz don't be panic if your safari quits unexpectedly since its a common issue.
Apple in its application forum has introduced Safari new version for the first time. Just install the same and your safari will begin to work.

I did it and its working for me. God bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.