Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gnik Nus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed Safari becoming randomly unresponsive on Mac every now and then?

I'm on a brand new MacBook Pro M2 with Ventura 13.3.1 (a) and all software up to date. No extensions at all, no ad-blockers, nothing.

Every once in a while, and a few times every day, Safari becomes suddenly unresponsive for a minute or two. It's not my internet connection, because other browsers and internet services keep working as expected. It's just Safari, which refuses to load up anything for a short while. Restarting Safari doesn't always help. It seems to be a temporary black out. I'm puzzled. Is this a known bug maybe? Whatever the case, it's terribly annoying and it's affecting my work, as it pulls me out of my concentration.

Thank you for any comments on this!

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Me too.

It’s not 1-2 minutes though, but I didn’t measure it. Not verified if it’s perhaps a problem in my network.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I had this happen a few days ago. I clicked a link in my email several times and safari did not pick it up. Then a minute or two later, it finally "caught up" and opened them.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Even without being signed in to iCloud, “Limit IP Address Tracking” is enabled by default on network connections (Ethernet, Wi-Fi). Disable it just to be sure (“Turn off Private Relay for a specific network on your Mac” on the support page).
Limit IP Address Tracking.jpg

Gnik Nus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Even without being signed in to iCloud, “Limit IP Address Tracking” is enabled by default on network connections (Ethernet, Wi-Fi). Disable it just to be sure (“Turn off Private Relay for a specific network on your Mac” on the support page).
View attachment 2197458
Ok, thank you! I disabled that as well for my WiFi network. I would rather have that option active (you can't have enough privacy online), but if that is causing the issue, then I'll just keep it off. Let's see what happens now. So far so good.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I had this happen a few days ago. I clicked a link in my email several times and safari did not pick it up. Then a minute or two later, it finally "caught up" and opened them.
This issue seems to be a regression in macOS 13.3. I use Chrome as default. When click a link from an email client (outlook for me), Chrome doesn't seem to be notified and only after a couple of minutes, the link would open. Didn't see such a problem before.

But the issue seems unrelated to the OP's report.

Reactions: ignatius345

Gnik Nus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
I disabled ‘Hide IP address’ and ‘Limit IP Address Tracking’ as suggested by @bogdanw, but the black outs are happening again. I'll keep an eye on it, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem, and this problem is starting to annoy me big time. I am very reliant on Safari and this is a $4000+ computer I'm using, so I expect things to just work. Quod non.

Gnik Nus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
I seem to have identified what's triggering the blackouts: using the address bar for a search (regardless of the search engine selected in preferences).

It's totally random, but every now and then, trying to search a term from the address bar will cause Safari to stop responding for a minute or two. Nothing will load in a short period of time and then everything will start working normally again.

I called Apple, but they couldn't really help me. They gave me the usual tips: clean the cache, delete your browsing history, remove cookies, disable extensions, and so on. But nothing helped.

What in the world could be wrong? I have tried everything and keep testing things out, but no luck yet. This is so frustrating. Brand new computer with everything up to date and no software from outside of the App Store. Pffff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.