Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Does anyone know if Safari 'reader mode' still works? On iPhone 11 with OS15.5 (And iPad Pro with OS15.5) reader mode is greyed out no matter what sites I go to...also, if I vary the settings for 'Desktop Website' and/or 'Use Reader Automatically ' .....same result : Reader Mode is greyed out. Any ideas as to what may be going on (or what I've forgotten or set wrong?)? Thanks.....

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Interesting, 12 Pro Max on iOS 15.5 - Yup it is greyed out at Macrumors. Let me check on my own websites where it always worked.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Works on my websites with older script. So it works but not on all websites. Also on forums it was always a bit problematic - stand alone articles always worked on the reader.

Stand alone articles on Macrumors will show the reader I just confirmed. So are you sure previously reader friendly material no longer works or did you just start trying it here?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Works on my websites with older script. So it works but not on all websites. Also on forums it was always a bit problematic - stand alone articles always worked on the reader
Thanks. Hey, 'other question: on your phone...if you hit 'share' and then ' make pdf' (or however its worded) does it offer to simply make the PDF or is there a 'Privacy' dropdown first? Thanks for the help.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Works on my websites with older script. So it works but not on all websites. Also on forums it was always a bit problematic - stand alone articles always worked on the reader.

Stand alone articles on Macrumors will show the reader I just confirmed. So are you sure previously reader friendly material no longer works or did you just start trying it here?
Yeah. Seems to work on some (iMore site) but not others (MacMost). Haven't used it in a while so may just be a 'memory' thing on my part.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Also for the websites that Reader Mode does work, it can cut off the text when an image separates blocks of text so you can only read part of the article in Reader Mode.

So then you’ve got to go back to normal page rendering to read the entire article of check to see that it wasn’t cut off

Reactions: Blowback
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.