Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
This bug has been around since iOS 14 on my old iPad 9.7. After setting up my brand new M1 iPad Pro 12.9 fresh, with a IPSW restore to 16.2, I’m infuriated to discover this bug still exists.

Opening a new tab and typing in the URL bar, no suggestions pop up. Pressing Enter does nothing. The bar won’t submit inputs unless the tab is closed and another new one opened.

Given that I’ve had two iPads on completely different software versions do this now, I have to believe others are experiencing this. Has anyone found a way to make it stop?

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
So am I the only one that types searches into the URL bar? Nobody else has seen this?

mandy_k

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2020
I’ve experienced this.

I find it only happens if I leave Safari zoomed out to the view that shows all the tabs (which I like to do because it lets me quickly pick a previous tab or open a new one). If I always make sure to leave Safari zoomed into one tab, this bug never crops up.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I’ve experienced this.

I find it only happens if I leave Safari zoomed out to the view that shows all the tabs (which I like to do because it lets me quickly pick a previous tab or open a new one). If I always make sure to leave Safari zoomed into one tab, this bug never crops up.

Strange. I almost never leave mine zoomed out, it’s always on a page.

Do you have “Preload Top Hit” disabled? That was the only setting I had changed after setting up my iPad and it was also disabled on my old iPad.

mandy_k

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2020
Strange. I almost never leave mine zoomed out, it’s always on a page.

Do you have “Preload Top Hit” disabled? That was the only setting I had changed after setting up my iPad and it was also disabled on my old iPad.
Mine has “Preload top hit” enabled.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So am I the only one that types searches into the URL bar? Nobody else has seen this?

Can't say I've ever had this issue. These are my Safari settings.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 8.31.31 AM Safari settings.png

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I’ve turned Preload Top Hit back on and haven’t seen the issue return yet. Maybe that particular code jumpstarts the URL bar, and Apple doesn’t care about the bug because who in their right mind would dare turn their features off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.