Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I'm on macOS Ventura 13.5 on a mac studio with an M1 Ultra on the latest version of Safari.
None of this matters as I have been experiencing these things forever, but that's to show I don't lack power and updated software.

I'm just noticing that despite safari being touted as the "fastest internet browser", it is very slow with any sort of animated content (from GIFs to Json animation, to the scrolling of the page itself).
I had this problem on macOS Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura, on an M1 Mac Mini, an M1 Max Macbooc Pro and my current M1 Ultra Mac Studio.

If i open the same websites with Firefox, all the scrolling is much smoother and all the animations play nicely (I tested many websites).On Safari I always had choppy scrolling and the animations lag and stutter.
I can't understand what causes this, as I had the bug throughout many releases of macOS on different macs.
I tried disabling all the extension but it didn't improve.

I really like Safari's design and the integration with iOS, so I'd like to avoid switching to an other brower.
Do you have any idea?

Reactions: cadec
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.